The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
The answer is "Whichever your rifle shoots better."
All of the above have proven effective on deer.
Now for my opinion, I stick with the 165 and 180 grain options. (Pointed Soft Points, not the rounder "Soft Points")
They both group very tight for me from my 700 BDL SS, and POI switching between the two is within/less than 1/4" of each other at 100 yards.
I've hammered deer out to 350 yards with both.
I am not, however, a fan of the 150gr load. I've never used it off the range, but a few of my buddies have. It seems more prone to fragmentation and added meat loss, but it still puts 'em down.
But I'll reiterate, see the first line.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I tend to use heavy for caliber bullets for most of my big game hunting. 180's in the 30-06, as I like an exit hole. 150's seem to open up quickly, do a lot of damage, and kill quickly, but I have seldom gotten an exit hole using them, especially on shoulder shots, where they damage a lot of meat.

Larry

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I've used all the different 30-06 CL's. I prefer the 150 grain because I've not only gotten quick kills up close but also at a distance with them.
They definitely do the job, I’ve just seen some excessive meat loss on up close shots that steers me to the heavier offerings.
But hey, if it works for folks and they’re happy, that’s awesome too.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts