The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been huntin with a Bear Whitetail Hunter for 25years.I scored lots of kills with it but have been wantin to go traditional.Of the off the rack bows,PSE,Bear,etc.which one would you all recommend? I don,t want to sink a ton of money in a custom job,just want to get one off the rack or order one at a reasonable cost.Don,t want no Chinese garbage either.Thanks.

·
Registered
745 Posts
That's cool that you are still hunting an old Whitetail Hunter! I would consider a used bow. Even off the rack non-custom bows are not cheap. Contact Bob Hildebrand, he usually has used bows in stock. Good luck!

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Martin makes a reasonably priced bow and the new Bear recurves aren't all that expensive either. I would second contacting Bob via PM. He has a pretty good selection of used bows and will treat you right.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
How about a long bow? I have a Bear Montana 50#, technically a reflex/deflex, and the thing is so light and slim it's hard to beleive that it is 50#. They have reinforced tips so you can put Flemmish strings on them too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Look for a good used Bob Lee bow formally Wing Archery. Another great choice would be an older Hoyt recurve. They can be found in nice shape and were made when recurves were king. I still hunt with an old Hoyt. It's light, fast and accurate. God I hate compounds!

·
Registered
169 Posts
You can also get a Fedora custom for about the same price as an off the shelf Bear, Hoyt, Martin, PSE,etc. Check out there website

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't overlook used vintage bows either. I mostly use bows from the 60's and they work as well as new ones. Been using them since they weren't vintage 8^). I've been doing this "traditional" thing since the mid 1960's. Check out Bob's shop, he will lead you in the right direction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts