The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's mag lites, pro series 1, and pro series IIs. WHich one do you use and is there a reason you use them

thanks!

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Sounds like someone wants to build a silo spread... You looking to fluff a rig or build new?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Seems to be a common theme.

I have 4 dozen pro 2's. Friend has 8 doz pro 1.
I like the 2's cause no need to worry about which side will shine. Plus I got them real cheap on a cabelas sale.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buk_Huntir said:
Sounds like someone wants to build a silo spread... You looking to fluff a rig or build new?
I just want them to be able to adapt to the different conditions. I hate lugging full bodies in when you can't drive

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
stevenstiegel said:
Buk_Huntir said:
I just want them to be able to adapt to the different conditions. I hate lugging full bodies in when you can't drive
Very true. I cant speak for real geese, i use homebrew silos on the rare occasion that i need them. Im sure any of the "fancy" silos would work if my garage geese work. Im a sucker for new decoys though too.
i think ive reached that point where adding more does not help the kill ratio, it only make the trailer heaver and more of PITA to clean up at the end of the hunt LOL

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
today we hunted over 6 dz ffds and 3 dz real geese.. most were the pro 2's, and some the pro 1's.. we had to flip around the 1's for the afternoon hunt.. other than that no big deal.. I have all 2's, and would probably get more 2's if it were me

·
Registered
732 Posts
If your looking for silos check out big als decoys. Last time I was on their site it was 80 a dozen and they look pretty good. For price can't beat em. They have a Facebook page, Big Sean used em in a few hunts.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
BearArch023 said:
If your looking for silos check out big als decoys. Last time I was on their site it was 80 a dozen and they look pretty good. For price can't beat em. They have a Facebook page, Big Sean used em in a few hunts.
LOL Big Al and Big Sean... Thats almost as cool as a team name. Im gonna start calling myself Big Buk. Sorry for the hijack

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
We use a mixture of FB's and RG Sillys.
Pro II are the premium ones, for sure.
They are real handy to have, We walk-in to each and every spot we hunt, wouldnt even ask a farmer to drive in, ever.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Stephen, you KNOW what I'm gonna recommend.
Gonna be running 4 dozen Big Al's silos and MAYBE 1 dozen walker/feeder FB's in the morning. I know you frequent the site I mod on. Just do a search (if you haven't already) on the field test I did last year. If/when we actually get to hook up for a hunt, I'll be happey to let you get your hands on them too.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mightyjoeyoung said:
Gonna be running 4 dozen Big Al's silos and MAYBE 1 dozen walker/feeder FB's in the morning. I know you frequent the site I mod on. Just do a search (if you haven't already) on the field test I did last year. If/when we actually get to hook up for a hunt, I'll be happey to let you get your hands on them too.
sent you a pm

·
Registered
102 Posts
Steven, if you want to hook up for a hunt over my big als silos-let me know. You can even borrow my 4 dozen I have for a week to field test if you would like.actually hunting over them right now

·
Registered
550 Posts
Sorry to jump on ur post but I have some questions. Planning on building a spread in the near future. For hunting flocks with an average of 100-150 birds how many dekes do you guys recommend? How many fb's and silo's? 99% of my hunting will be walk in. Are silo's proven? A friend of mine explained that silo's give geese the illusion that they are moving. Some help guys! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
stevenstiegel said:
mightyjoeyoung said:
sent you a pm

HEy brother, I just tried to PM you but your inbox is full

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
greenhead said:
Sorry to jump on ur post but I have some questions. Planning on building a spread in the near future. For hunting flocks with an average of 100-150 birds how many dekes do you guys recommend? How many fb's and silo's? 99% of my hunting will be walk in. Are silo's proven? A friend of mine explained that silo's give geese the illusion that they are moving. Some help guys! Thanks!

Hey buddy, we typically do well in the late season with 3 to 4 dozen full bodies and a couple dozen shells. However, the last few hunts we have running 5 to 6 doz silos.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Are you running full bodies w/ the silos?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well the first three hunts with silo's that is all we used but we did 2 dozend FBs with 3 dozen silos on Tuesday and a few FB mallards. Shot 18 canadas and 2 mallards with that spread

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Greenhead, they been using silo's on MD's Eastern shore since there was geese there, I think that is considered proven. I personally don't feel you "need" to add full bodies or shells to your silo spread, but you can if it makes you feel better. I have killed so many birds over a silo only spread, I couldn't even start to put a number on it. Read mightyjoeyoungs post on another thread about how to set your silo's , etc. He's spot on with most of that, hunting silo's alone will work, but setting them is very important.

I said this in another post, but it stands repeating, if your asking is silo's are "proven", becasue your looking for the magic decoys that will work in any situation, Silo's are not your answer. There is no decoys out there, including stuffers that will guarantee you geese dropping right in everytime.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Here is a example of what I have used for about the last 10 years with a lot of sucsess. Have shot limits on bluebird days, rain, wind, snow, whatever. Doesn't matter. Unfortunatlly, the only way to sell guys on the idea of hunting silo's, is to have them go out, hunt them and have sucsess. I was very skeptical at first as well, until I hunted with a guy in MD over black and whites. I sat there going "there is no way geese are going to fall for this". After the quickest limit of geese I had ever shot, especially on a bluebird day, I was sold.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Sweet!!! Thanks guys!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts