The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure from looking them up they are the Purple-spored Puffball but wanted to see what others on here that have picked this kind say.....want to make sure they are not the Pigskin Poison Puffball...this is the first time I've found these type... I normally only get the Giant White Ones, So I'm not exactly sure!

They came up pretty much over night in our yard..there is an Ash Tree and a Hikory Nut Tree about 20-30 feet from where they came up...

inside of 1, the marks on the inside was from the knife catching when cutting, NO Gills showing at all which is a good thing!!

All look like this on the under side...

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have them in the "Cave" Fridge...left the 1 that I cut site in there with the others to see if it changhed colors...I was reading on a site that the Pigskins have a purplish inside (not these I found) BUT what is getting me is the Skin on them!! It is like a Skin of an animal would be, when I cut the 1 in half the skin, you can peel it like you skin an animal...the Pigskin Poison Puffball, says that it has a thick, tough, rindlike exterior....These have like a Leathery Skin to them!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yours are not Pigskin Puffballs. Nothing to be worried about. But if you don't want to believe me, I won't take offense. Mushroom hunting can be intimidating

1 - 4 of 4 Posts