The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="font-weight: bold"> I need some recommendation from you fella's, that already are using trail cams on which ones to buy...

So many to choose from....

Seems like they are an awesome tool to tell you what's wandering around in the woods...

Thanks, Zumer</span>

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I have two Primos Truth Cam 35's and a Moltrie m-80. The batteries last a little longer in the Moltrie but the primos takes better night pictures IMO. However I would buy both again if I had too.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Bushnell Trophy cam - Black Flash. If I was starting over and I have twenty three trail cams I would only buy black flash. With infra red all the deer look at the camera. Not that it scares them all but the big bucks will not keep coming back unless you have corn out. I am slowly switching over to all black flash as mine slowly break down. I leave them out all year round and many have been out since summer of 2009. I am not sure that they will last more then five years of continuous use but if they make it two months they will last three years and counting. If I took them in during the winter and spring I am sure they would last longer.

BTW I use them as much for spring turkey as I do for deer. It is nice to know where the birds during the transition from winter to spring. It is just neat to see the birds as they move around the woods. I have learned a lot through my cams. It also gives you a reason to take a walk more often and more time in the woods definitely adds to the knowledge base.

·
Registered
377 Posts
None! Run away before you get hooked. People should really be asking which camera is most reliable.

I have owned five over the years. My first 35 mm Moultrie stopped working one day. At least that one took a beating from a bear before it stopped. My Stealth Cam ate through batteries like crazy and I had to send it back for a replacement once. Then that one stopped working. The first thing to break on my Cudde was the loop for the strap. So I bought a lock box for it. Then the Cuddeback had to have certain sd cards or it wouldn't work correctly. Then that stopped working again a few months ago. I can't read the wording displayed on my 2nd Moultrie (I40). Bits and pieces of words on the screen. But at least it's still working. Now I have a Walmart Bushnell in camo and that might not be working correctly after a couple weeks. The time was not accurate on recent pictures and the camera didn't seem to be triggering. I have to mess with it to see if it's working or not. Run!

If you have to buy one. I would probably buy another Moultrie. Not because it takes great pictures, or because it's fast. It's not. Just because my second Moultrie has worked longer than the others.

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bushnell Trophy cam - Black Flash.

Got the approvial from the Commanding General (my wife) to buy a pair of these camera's....

Thanks for all the help, guidence and info....

·
Registered
774 Posts
I recommend whatever one you buy, save the package and receipt, cause they all have some problem eventually!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'd reccommend a camlock box for your cams ,kinda pricey about $50 apiece (but your cams are about $250 apiece) but really heavy and well made , better than what bushnell sells. even the smallest bear, even porcupine , can destroy a cam real quick if not protected. not to mention the most vile of all creatures , two legged theifs
(should be open season on them
)

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Stay away from any model that takes "C" batteries. I have yet to find or hear of any that has a battery life greater than one week or 10 pictures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts