The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I am going to be making food plots on my land this year. And I can't decide between two different kinds of seeds. It's either whitetail institutes no-plow or serect spot seeds from them. I would like to know if any of you guys used either one of those before and how did they work. Anything will help! THANKS

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
how big of areas are you clearing, and how much sun will they get? What kind of prep work do you plan on doing? Can you get tractors/atv's with implements in to the spots? Have any pictures of the areas you're planning on planting?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They will get like 3 hours of sun at least and the areas are I would say are less then an acre big I just plan on raking and cutting all grass and weeds in the area So there just soil and that's what these seeds are made for is for that reason I have atvs but don't have the the equiptment ro till it the ground and all and no I don't have a pictures..... Did that help at all

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I used the Secret Spot one time, won't use it again. It has ryegrass in it which is not something deer prefer to eat, unless you got a bunch of hungry deer. The ryegrass, according to articles, is difficult to kill once you have it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Both are junk, nothing but ryegrass and alittle barassica's.

Use either rye (grain rye, not ryegrass), wheat or oats with some barassica's.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I would spray the crap out of it with round up and throw down some clover and oats. If you really want to do a brassica mix i would buy something that just has some forage rape and purple top turnips. Might be able to buy these a la cart at a coop or something. Just know that brassicas are an annual and wont come back next year so you will have to do it again next year. If you put down clover you will have a plot for the years to come with a bit of tlc with a mower in the spring and early fall or a treatment of a grass herbicide. Also, food plotting is an addiction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts