The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although both are popular. Which one out of the two 7mm rem. mag or 300 win. mag do you suppose is more popular not only in Pa, but nation wide?

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
.300. It's more useful. The 7 mag was wildly popular for a while when it first came out and then people realized the .300 mag can do more with hardly any more recoil.

·
Registered
496 Posts
my vote is for the 7 MM

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
i would say the 7mm but i shoot a 7 wsm

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I'd say the 300 is a more popular round nowadays for all the reasons already stated.

The 7MM is a great round and can utilize many different bullets, however the factory fodder is loaded down to 30-06 pressure levels and in reality, is not much ahead of the 280 Remington. Kinda useless to burn more powder and generate more recoil for not a whole lot of gain?? When handloaded carefully you can approach 54,000cup and thats when the 7mm pulls ahead.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I love my 7RM it was in use by the SS for awhile and is/was one of RCBS's best most popular set of dies to be sold.
However I'd say the 300 is as if not more popular now. I'll still take my 7RM...if i want a big 30 thats what the RUM is for.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Ghogs Nightmare said:
I love my 7RM it was in use by the SS for awhile and is/was one of RCBS's best most popular set of dies to be sold.
However I'd say the 300 is as if not more popular now. I'll still take my 7RM...if i want a big 30 thats what the RUM is for.
Took the words out of my mouth. Long live the 7RM. And I love the 300 RUM

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
BrownTrout said:
Ghogs Nightmare said:
Took the words out of my mouth. Long live the 7RM. And I love the 300 RUM
That struck me as funny. Especially with all that I've read about guys shooting the RUM's out fairly quickly. I don't think they are meant to live long. Lol!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
7 Rm not 7 RUM. Big difference. I own two 7 RM's and have experience with that caliber, the 300 rum is a lusting thing. I don't own that YET. A friend of mine who's a gunsmith does and boy let me tell you can that thing reach out and put a hurtin on somebody or something. He has it in a bench gun along with many other calibers. And I agree, the RUMS are shorter lived.

·
Registered
889 Posts
As far as ammo sales across the USA the 7mm Rem. Mag. sells more factory ammo. So if that is your question, then I would say the 7 is more popular. I like the 300 better because the 30 caliber has a better selection of bullets(IMO). And you can shoot a good bit heavier bullet in a 30 caliber if you want to. So performance wise I would give a slight edge to the 300 WM.

I sold ammunition for years for a national company, and the 7mm just outsells the 300. However it is the opposite for hand loaders. There are far more 30 caliber bullets sold over 7mm. But you have to keep in mind that there are also alot more 30 caliber rifles. Like the 30-06 that sells more than the 7mm and 300 combined.

IMO the 7mm is a bit more popular because it is the top edge of what people consider as "withstand able recoil". I do believe the 7 has less recoil than the 300. But again the difference is only slight. Tom.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
B.D.MAGNUM said:
Although both are popular. Which one out of the two 7mm rem. mag or 300 win. mag do you suppose is more popular not only in Pa, but nation wide?
Close your eyes, reach out and pick one and don't look back. Not enough difference between these two to even bother about.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I prefer the 7mm. If the little extra power the 300 WM has over the 7 is needed I would want something bigger the the 300. Heck, my great uncle took down a VT bull moose with 162 grain hornadays in his 7mm.

My uncle and I had identical winchester mod 70's. Mine was a 7mm and his was a 300. His definately had more felt recoil. I never cared for the gun, and he liked it so much I sold it to him. He then sold his 300.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do have a 300 Ultra mag, 2 30-06's, and one 308. I don't have a 300 win. mag or 7mm mag. I don't need either one, but I am starting to want one just to have. Figured to get a feel for which one of the two, people like to hunker too more.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
with the introduction of the 300 RUM, there is no reason to even keep producing the 300 Win mag. It lived a good life, but is completely out-performed in all manners by the 300 RUM.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts