The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Nosler Partitions have never let me down but to be truthful I have yet to use there Accubonds the partitions work to perfection

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have used Partitions in 338,308,284 and 257 from pronghorn to brown bear they the std I judge others by

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
totally depends upon the game, range, and cartridge. Partitions are made to open quick and shed weight fast (seriously lack the penetration of the Accubond)

Shooting partition for black bear in a 243 at close range isn't going to be good. Shooting a Partion in a 308 for elk/moose/grizzly isn't going to be good as a cor-lok at any range..

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Yep, 60% gave up the meds here in the home. And of any given weight bullet (the solid part of the partition) will NEVER penetrate like a 100% of a non-partition bullet.

Friend shot a big Canadian Black bear at 80 yards three times with a 180 partition from his 300 weatherby. He was furious as the bear didn't fall down and he lost the hide to bugs by the recovery time. He couldn't believe that the partitions had not penetrated. But the bullet did exactly what it was meant to do. I got him to the Nosler site and he then understood. the partition wasn't bad, just his bad choice of the wrong bullet for the job.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Depends on where the 3 shots hit doesn't it? 3 to the rump and it doesn't matter what bullet construction you have, it's not going to be effective. right?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
No bad choices here. I've used Accubonds and partitions on deer with instant stops. I'm loading 180 gr partitions (.30-06) for an upcoming bear hunt in Canada, but I'm sure 180 gr Accubonds would do just as well.

Pick whichever one you like or your rifle likes.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Shooting a Partion in a 308 for elk/moose/grizzly isn't going to be good as a cor-lok at any range..
You're joking right????

·
Registered
392 Posts
I voted for the Accubonds because I use them more often. Havving said that they are designed to perform like a Partition. What I like about them is they are more aerodynamic. Either one will definately outperform a corlokt!

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I understand what Harry is saying. The front end of a partition bullet opens up rapidly and sometimes only the stump really penetrates. That is why I voted for the Accubond.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
That is what a partition is supposed to do..........the front is designed for rapid expansion, then the stump drives it for deep penetration and pretty high weight (approx 60%-75%)retention.......

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
All premium bullets can be used with no excuses. Of the 2 choices given I'd go with the Accubond. I find they shoot as good as ballistic tips, better than the partitions, but nothing wrong with partition accuracy on big game. You can work up loads with the AB and have fun with ballistic tips if cost is a concern. BC is a tad better with the AB. Taken 2 bear with partitions and 1 with accubond, no difference, no deer with either. They both make big enough holes with enough penetration to use both with confidence.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Accubond's...won't deform in magazine/box. Maintain weight well penetrate great and good accuracy. As was mentioned shoot the ballistic tips first on load then switch to AB's for fine tuning.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just bought a new A bolt in 300 wsm I tried both 165 gr Accubons and 180 gr partitions. It is strange to me, but the partitions are extremely accurate. I didnt try 180 gr Accubons, but I am assuming that the gun likes 180 gr.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts