The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had many successful seasons using Royal Bonnyl in 4lb. When the production of the line stopped, I was able to stockpile a couple 1000 yards. Well now my stockpile is running low and it is time to start looking for a new line.

What types of lines are everyone using?

The Maxima Ultragreen and Maxima Chameleon are near the top of my list to try. Anyone with info on these 2 lines?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
20,167 Posts
I use nothing but magna-thin #6. For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone wouldnt. #6 line with the diameter of #4. Line twists are reduced versus conventional line. Life stretch isnt much worse. Its the best product out there for trout and pan fish. I can't really speak for larger fish but for trout you're not going to do any better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,445 Posts
Flouro is only good for leaders. It is a hassle for the entire spool. Just my experience and what others I know have run into.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
DAM Tectan is a great line. Extremely small diameter compared to other lines with same poundage 6.5lb test with 3lb test diameter. Tough as nails too. I also like P-line X-tra Tough. Flows nice off the reel, thin diameter, and good sensitivity.
I also only use flouro as a leader/tippet. No need for 150 yds. when you only need 2-3 ft. Seaguar Grand Max is my leader/tippet choice in 4x or 5x.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,406 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
I use nothing but magna-thin #6. For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone wouldnt. #6 line with the diameter of #4. Line twists are reduced versus conventional line. Life stretch isnt much worse. Its the best product out there for trout and pan fish. I can't really speak for larger fish but for trout you're not going to do any better.
Same here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,445 Posts
I also wanted to add a comment about high visibility line. Using Hi-Vis line on the opener when there are a lot of people around is very convenient. I rarely get tangled with people because they can SEE my line and know not to cast or drift where they might get tangled! Now some people are fools and don't care, or just don't have the skill to avoid fishing line in the water, but I get tangled a lot less when other fishermen can see my line and avoid it! I fish some pretty good crowds too!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,449 Posts
Double Lung 20 said:
I also wanted to add a comment about high visibility line. Using Hi-Vis line on the opener when there are a lot of people around is very convenient. I rarely get tangled with people because they can SEE my line and know not to cast or drift where they might get tangled! Now some people are fools and don't care, or just don't have the skill to avoid fishing line in the water, but I get tangled a lot less when other fishermen can see my line and avoid it! I fish some pretty good crowds too!!
transoptic is another good hi vis line, clear in shade or underwater and orange/kinda golden looking color in sunlight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,116 Posts
color me stupid but IMO any #4 mono is beyond fine for trout, much less stockies. You're casting your lure/bait 20 feet or less so there's not even a need for any kind of distance that you'd get from any braid. If you know how to use your drag and actually replace the last 18 inches of your line periodically, you're not gonna get snapped. There's just not many factors to factor in. Picky early season trout aren't line shy, they've just been molested for 12 hours a day every day since 8 am opening morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,072 Posts
I would pick up Seagar flouro for leaders. The stuff is like night and day.

I am a big fan of Suffix since i had to go lower scale on my fishing gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,445 Posts
turkey4life said:
Double Lung 20 said:
I also wanted to add a comment about high visibility line. Using Hi-Vis line on the opener when there are a lot of people around is very convenient. I rarely get tangled with people because they can SEE my line and know not to cast or drift where they might get tangled! Now some people are fools and don't care, or just don't have the skill to avoid fishing line in the water, but I get tangled a lot less when other fishermen can see my line and avoid it! I fish some pretty good crowds too!!
transoptic is another good hi vis line, clear in shade or underwater and orange/kinda golden looking color in sunlight.
i remember looking into transoptic before. I forget why I didn't buy it. Maybe bad reviews that I read?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,285 Posts
I highly recommend Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon line 4 lb. supreme economy priced fluro that spools nicely on spinning reels.. no leader tying necessary . just snip off old sections as needed .
retails for about $10.95 for 250 yds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
I use nothing but magna-thin #6. For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone wouldnt. #6 line with the diameter of #4. Line twists are reduced versus conventional line. Life stretch isnt much worse. Its the best product out there for trout and pan fish. I can't really speak for larger fish but for trout you're not going to do any better.
If anyone is interested in stocking up on Stren MagnaThin, Dick's Sporting Goods has all their 330 yard spools of clear MagnaThin on clearence for $5.97 (about $10 at Cabela's). I was at the Dick's in Plymouth Meeting and they had about a dozen 6# and 8# spools and five or so 4# and 10# spools.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
20,167 Posts
Whoa!! Thanks for the heads up!! I'll stop in tomorrow and see if mine does. At that price there aint a line on this planet that could remotely touch it. I'll buy every spool they have in on the rack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
I just saw spyder wire ultimate mono, looks very thin. what do you guys think for a trout line?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top