The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't reload so I will be shooting factory ammo. Going off of ballistics, availability of ammo and cost of ammo which of the two choices is more better.
Please splain why you think the one you chose is more besterest as well.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It'll be a lever-action brush gun mainly for teddy bears. Plus I already have a 30-06 and a 30-30 which is my deer brush gun.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go back to the basement you stinky troll and leave my most awesomest talkin alone.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
45-70 offers a ton more factory loadings from relatively inexpensive rounds to very expensive high performance rounds. With the 444 there's just not much out there for ammo at all. Remington & Hornady make one each....Buffalo Bore makes some good stuff, but it's costly. That's about it. If it's a factory only situation I'd go for the 45-70. If you reload the 444 is fun to play with.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I have both, I prefer my 45/70 because of the greater versatility (more factory loadings available). Even though I prefer the 45/70, my .444 is a keeper.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hey bud I just went through this. There is a thread on here with a ton of good input and information.When it was all said and done I went with the 45/70. My decision was based on the ammo deal as I don't reload yet.Having said that,and now that I got one, one of my next purchases in the not too distant future will be another one in either 444 or 450. There is a really nice 450 in the classifieds right now, but I depleted my gun fund for a little while. Either way you won't go wrong, just the ammo is a little easier to come by for one than the other.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what you guys are really trying to say is I should buy one of each?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Both are great cartridges for hunting in PA(and WV as well). Personally I like the 45-70. However I reload. So that puts both on equal footing. If I had to depend on factory fodder then there is no doubt. I would go with the 45-70. Substantially more ammo available for the 45-70. Tom.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you're not reloading I think the obvious choice would be the 444. The factory 45-70 loads are anemic.There are semi custom 45-70 loads that are loaded to the proper power level for a Marlin action but you'll pay some serious money to buy them.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
45-70. Nuff said.

It's a classic that won't go away. The 444 isn't a bad gun either.....If you reload.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts