The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sleepy Creek, Bridger (unmod), or Montana? Right now I own MB and Duke traps. The MB traps are awesome but I'm looking to move in some 1.5s that are a little cheaper than MBs. All opinions are welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
If you get the Bridgers and spend 20 minutes on the grinder like I've shown in the past, you will have the best #1.5 of the group. They are built with heavy material for a 1.5.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
There is alot of concern with coons pulling out of stock #1.5 Bridgers. I'm not a coon trapper, but I've caught and held fox and coyotes without a problem in these little traps. A design flaw was brought to my attention with these traps. The taper on the outside of the jaw allows the levers to be pushed down with little effort.
I merely ground a flat spot on the outside edge of the jaw and the trap now locks up tight. A very simple yet very effective modification for a lightweight trap.
The trap on the left is stock. The trap on the right has the flat spot ground on the jaw.
In the video, the stock trap is shown first and the improved trap shows the results.

I've come to realize that you don't have to grind both jaws to achieve the positive lockup. I just set the trap, keep my thumb under the pan so it can't fire, and grind the loose jaw on my bench grinder. The single flat spot ground on the jaw takes away the mechanical advantage of the ramp on the tapered jaw.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
We file/grinder almost all new traps. I agree with 17 on the Bridgers, they are one great trap.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Montana's a very strong trap low cost.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, FWIW, I'm a strong believer in "you get what you pay for" theory. I've used alot of different brands of traps and I've found that the MB's are built solid, need little or no adjustment, and will last longer than some other less expensive brands when cared for properly. The few extra $$ in cost is worth my time, replacement, and trouble.

SJA :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Where u going to use these traps land or water? I have had and used all that u listed, overall SC are great, on land prefer Montana's great trap. If u can weld slightly and like to fuss with traps, don't overlook Dukes, probably buy 2 to 1 at conventions for what u listed.
Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I like sleepy creek and victor's. They work fine. just have to night latch them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
All of this advice from these guys is great and all these traps are great also. I am no pro trapper but in my opinion if you have the ability to do some mods to your own traps buy dukes. Cocolamus creek supplies has by far the cheapest dukes. IMO I would buy 1.75 offset jaws put #2 chain a couple heavy duty swivels, stake swivel, baseplate with 1/4" rod, bubble the jaw tips, weld the dog shut and nightlatch the pan and these traps will hold probably anything that comes across it thats what I did and would do again sorry so long thought it might be useful to you

·
Banned
174 Posts
Try to find some Montogomery 1 1/2 coils round jaw , they are the best 1 1 /2 ever made , they are no longer in production though ...

You can find them at Trapping rendevous and the like !!

·
Banned
275 Posts
Get on ebay and find some 1 3/4 Northwoods. You can't find a better trap in my opinion. No mods needed either!

I have Northwoods, Victors, MB 550s & Duke. Of all these, the Duke traps seem to be the cheapest made and I don't plan on buying anymore Duke traps. I am not saying they are bad traps,I just don't care for them. They are hard to adjust (imo) and better traps can be bought for just a little more money.

I get tired of all this having to modify traps.. I have not modded any of my traps and I've had very few pull outs.

You buy a basic trap and then have to add this and that to make them do what they were designed to do!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts