The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get some new hunting gear this year. Looking at Nomad and Huntworth.
Need some opinions from first handers. Opinions on other clothing companies also welcome.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Pretty much wear wool when rifle hunting. Either a Woolrich coat or Filson, with Filson pants. Have been wearing the same Filson pants and coat for 30 years, had to replace the crotch in the pants with a patch several years ago. I bought a pair of Codet pants(Big Bill), last year, which are really nice wool pants for around 100 bucks.

For bow season cotton camo coveralls.

·
Premium Member
24,332 Posts
I want to get some new hunting gear this year. Looking at Nomad and Huntworth.
Need some opinions from first handers. Opinions on other clothing companies also welcome.
Cold weather, early Fall, wet conditions etc??

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
for 45+ years I wore Carhart insulated bibs and thought they couldn't be beat until I got a Cabela's coat and pants 2 years ago for our Newfoundland hunt. Exceptional cloths for cold weather!

·
Registered
914 Posts
No, Silent-Suede Dry Plus waterproof. The pants are awesome and I wear them even on warmer days if I am going to be sitting. Pants and coat have a ton of pockets and are really warm, I really like them!
Sounds good. I almost bought a Wooltimate jacket and pants last year when they were on sale. Heard they are very warm. But. when I am sitting and it is cold I usually wear Walls insulated coveralls.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I get cold sitting, so wool if it's in the mid 30s or so, or if I'm still hunting or slow walking. Wool allows you to be quiet. Any lower than 30s I have the cabelas MT50 I think it was called, not sure if they have that anymore, but the wooltimate is also good. If you buy the good stuff it lasts a long time if you only wear it for hunting, unless you're dragging it through the nasty stuff, multiflora rose, barb wire fences, etc. My complaint with the synthetics is the noise against trees/brush. Fleece outer is a little better, wool is best in that aspect.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Sitka and Kuiu looks like high end gear to me and I would check them out.

I would look for lightweight clothing that is extremely warm and I believe both of those companies fit my criteria (other than the cost)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Cabelas Wooltimate?
I have a complete outfit of Wooltimate w/windshear. I am dissapointed in the performance. It isn't warm enough for stand hunting but it might be for still hunting. The wind cuts right through it.

I bought Arctic Shield, the warmest version, H7 I believe, and I love it. Can't speak of how it works when it gets colder than -5 degrees F, but it blocks wind and you don't need to layer so much you can't move either. The boot insulators are worth it too.:smile2:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have been wearing Rivers West clothing for 15+ years. Have the heavy weight and the mid weight. Waterproof and warm, Has never let me down.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Merino wool next to the skin works great for insulating in cold and warm weather. And it does great for minimizing bacteria-producing odor while wicking moisture away from the skin (which is critical to maintaining core temp.). Sitka Gear is high end and quality but expensive. I prefer First Lite for layering which has incredible temperature control while being very light weight. Again expensive but worth it to me to stay comfortable on long sits. One or two layering pieces of it can make a real difference in comfort in combination with less expensive outerwear.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Last Christmas I got Minus 33 Merino wool and used it during the late season. For 200 dollars I still got cold during a late muzzleloader hunt.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I really like the wooltimate I also bought I Cabela's MTO 50 but I never had the need to use it yet,

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Love my Filson wool. Double Mackinaw coat and Mackinaw pants. Expensive yes but if your into wool they will last you a lifetime. I was lucky to score my coat normally $500 for $180 at Cabelas bargain cave many years ago.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I bought a set of nomad long underwear yesterday, I am trying them out this morning. They seem like they should do the job , made well. They don't give them away but not as expensive as Sitka.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts