The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a handgun to carry, what is some suggestions on make, model and caliber. I would like something small enough to cary in a pocket.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
You need to go to a good, reputable gun shop and check out what they have.

A lot goes into picking out a handgun. I use the reference to buying a pair of shoes, you need to go and try them on. For instance, your physical characteristics play a part in what firearm you may want to get.

Someone with a large frame can get away with carrying a full-size handgun, whereas a compact may be needed for someone with a small frame. Large hands vs small hands, etc.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Also if you don't shoot handguns a lot, I would stay with a revolver. Less to go wrong in a high stress situation.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Or a double action only, like the S&W bodyguard 380. <Especially if you want to keep it in your pocket> no way I would carry a pocket gun with one in the chamber. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Look at the Ruger LCR .38 or .357 Cal. The .357 is a little much for this gun but the .38 is fine. Great gun, you will like it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If carrying in your pocket is the primary requirement, then get the biggest caliber gun that fits nicely in your pocket. I chose the Ruger LCP 380 because I wear jean every day and any gun larger than the LCP would stand out like a sore thumb. I prefer a 9mm over the 380 for stopping power, but none of the 9mm "pocket" guns fit in my pants pocket without standing out...I am a little on the fat side, so my pants fit a little tight

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
PATurkeyHntr said:
If carrying in your pocket is the primary requirement, then get the biggest caliber gun that fits nicely in your pocket. I chose the Ruger LCP 380 because I wear jean every day and any gun larger than the LCP would stand out like a sore thumb. I prefer a 9mm over the 380 for stopping power, but none of the 9mm "pocket" guns fit in my pants pocket without standing out...I am a little on the fat side, so my pants fit a little tight
After debating for several years I recently broke down and bought a Rohrbaugh/Wilson Covert in 9mm....absolutely no regrets....hated the price but love the gun...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
lot of variables. what is your budget? are you familiar with handguns? how big are your hands and how do you want to carry the gun, front pocket, back pocket, coat pocket, IWB holster, etc. the flat sided semi's are more carry-friendly but more complex for some people, especially if you don't want to carry one in the pipe. i always recommend a concealed hammer revolver in 38 +P and either alloy or scandium frame. s&w, ruger and taurus all make nice examples. go to a gunshow and enjoy the shopping.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
I agree that a 9mm is smallest that I would carry for personal defense.

Too many stories (some just recently) that show a .38 to lack significant knockdown power.

I like the Springfield XDs, the S&W M&Ps, and Glocks however there are many other quality choices as well.

·
Registered
638 Posts
s&w 360pd, or the 340 if you don't like the hammer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts