The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best flint to use in a flintlock? I have an plain old knapped piece of flint in my traditions and something white in my T/C (believe it is ageate or whatever its called).

Also, what is the best/proper way to adjust the flint in the lock for the best spark?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The black english flints work well for me.I have the flint make as much spark as possible without touching the frizzen at halfcock. Bevel up or bevel down doesn't matter to me as long as I am getting good spark.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I use flints from Rich Pierce over on another forum. They are white, I believe they are referred to as chert. Your flint should strike about 2/3rds of the way up your frizzen, be it bevel up or bevel down. I like to keep mine just a fraction of an inch off the frizzen at half cock.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
I get the best life and greatest spark from these 3.
Tom Fuller Black English
French Amber
American Chert

Those cut flints just don't last or give good spark!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I do like the french amber flints. The english ones are also good. Stay AWAY from the cut agate flints. I have shot 70-80 shots from a good franch flint

·
Banned
900 Posts
Seems to depend on the rifle when it comes to cut agates. My GPR hates everything but cuts. I get numerous shots from one end and then flip for a tons more. A fella onec told me it depends alot on the lock/hammer angle etc. etc.. I just played around and found what worked for me.

·
Banned
462 Posts
I get the best spark from english flints, they may not last as long as the cut flints but they spark far better and everytime!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
can someone take a picture and upload how close your flint should be when it strikes the frizzen? should it just be 'nipping' it or a little close r and more pressure?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
It can't be touching at half cock as that will lift the frizzen and the powder will spill out, potentially dangerous also if the frizzen can rub the flint, a very small gap should be seen equally across.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
I like long part up and spaced about 1/32-1/16" from frizzen.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have had decent luck with the cut agate flints. I prefer the black english style but they get hard to find. The cut ones fit tight in your lock and may not last as long, but they seem fine for hunting where I like having a fresh flint anyway.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
should the flint be leaving horizontal 'gouge' type marks? i know there would be a 'strike' area but shouldnt that be mainly a scratched up area?

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
pt 1e: is that a TC? And no it should not leave a horizontal gouge. If you have that on a TC, you have probably chopped through the case hardening to the soft steel under neath. Flints will start chipping and breaking rapidly.

The flint edge should follow an arc that brings it along the curve of the frizzen just enough to scrape some hot sparks off. It should not just bash into the frizzen 2/3 of the way up and leave a gouge. My guess is that you have the old TC lock. Call TC and ask whether they will replace the lock with the newer one. Still not perfect but much better lock geometry.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
actually i have a traditions...so it should just graze the frizzen when it is in its 90 degree position? where should it be hitting the frizzen?

·
Registered
37 Posts
i've used cut and english flints. i'll never use a cut flint again. there's no comparison to the black english flint. i've had the same english flint in for 2 years and haven't had any misfires. my son had 7 misfires with a new cut flint. he had 2 good sparks and the rest were misfires. when buying a chipped flint make sure the top and bottom of the flint are flat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i had problems with my traditions deer hunter with machined flints after 2 or three shots it would'nt spark again unless i chipped the edge so it was jagged. switche to black old english and it really throws a spark now. when i put the old english flint it i put new leather on too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts