The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself and 2 others are going to be going to Africa to hunt upland game in 2012. The PH tells us shots up to 200 yards.
I will have a 300 win. mag, 1 guy an .06, and the other .308. What factory loads would any suggest, none of us reload.

Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Federal, Went on a hunt in BC, contacted them about loads for .270 for Moose & goat. They advised, Moose dropped in tracks, goat ran a little( they are 1 tough bugger)

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I would reccomend Federal, their factory loads are far superior to anything that Winchester or Remington has.......You caould also try Hornady

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
smitz8500 said:
I would rec. winchester ballistic tips but what do you define as "upland" game

BTW

Congrats on getting to go
Sorry I should of made that clear: Blesbuck, Springbuck, Kudu, Impala, Warthog, Reedbuck......that is the agenda as of now

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I think you are after plains game,not upland game. I always ask the PH whats available there because if you get seperated from your ammo, you want to be able to put your hands on something close. Otherwise you are resighting everything. Make sure you can get the same bullet weights there that you are bringing along, nothing to worry about.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Ask your PH for his preference. He knows his hunting terrain and game better than any of us. I have yet to talk to a PH that didn't have strong opinions on firearms.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I would go with what ever shoots best. Just because something may perform perfectly on game doesn't mean it will shoot good out of your rifle. Some guns are more picky than others. I have one rifle that throws patterns with anything other than a couple different facory loads.

Your already spending a pile of cash to go on a hunt. Might as well spend a hundred bucks or so trying a few different types of premium ammo. Can never go wrong with anything loaded with partitions. Or do what I normally do and shoot heavy for caliber loads. Cheaper and shoot about the same trajectory to 200 or so yards. In that case you can try another loading for the same amount of cash.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joe the Logger said:
I think you are after plains game,not upland game. I always ask the PH whats available there because if you get seperated from your ammo, you want to be able to put your hands on something close. Otherwise you are resighting everything. Make sure you can get the same bullet weights there that you are bringing along, nothing to worry about.
Yeah you are right Joe plains not upland.dud.........trying to do to much at once.
As for asking the PH, that is where I started he recomended I shot 150 out of my 300 win, actualy he said 150 for all 3 guns. They use custom loads (w/ noslers) in their guns.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
You can learn much from those guys in a very short time. With your 300 Win Mag and good shooting you are more than ready for the time of your life. Have a great time, and make good friends while you are there, it means alot when you go back the next time.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Kudu and warthog are the only plains game in your list that are hard to kill. The others are small and sprinter type animals with large lungs and thin hides.

Having killed very large kudu and wart hogs I'd think the 165 grain would be a good load. You actually should pick a bullet weight that you shoot well, if 180 grains kick a little too much for a hsooter I'd stay away from them.

As for brand, I see a lot of green/yellow Remington in Africa if you want American ammo. Plenty of RWS, etc foreign stuff in the gun shops also. I take reloads; But pack them in Remington boxes to limit hassel at the borders; they count every round on entrance in many souther African countries. Every hunting operation has a sight-in range and the good outfitters will have you check the zero of your guns when you arrive. This is actually not to check zero, they want to see how good or bad you shoot. hehe

Good luck, and enjoy. What country you headed to?

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
I would go with what ever shoots best. Just because something may perform perfectly on game doesn't mean it will shoot good out of your rifle. Some guns are more picky than others. I have one rifle that throws patterns with anything other than a couple different facory loads.

Your already spending a pile of cash to go on a hunt. Might as well spend a hundred bucks or so trying a few different types of premium ammo. Can never go wrong with anything loaded with partitions. Or do what I normally do and shoot heavy for caliber loads. Cheaper and shoot about the same trajectory to 200 or so yards. In that case you can try another loading for the same amount of cash.
I agree!If it were my gun i would be taking remington!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts