The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently switched from fingers to release. I am looking to get a drop away rest and was wondering which one everyone here preferred and why?

I have it narrowed down to limbdriver pro, limbdriver pro v, ripcord ace, and qad hdx.

I am probably leaning towards the pro v right now, I just like the way it looks. Does anyone know if the Mathews specific version fits a switchback?

Any thoughts and information are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
If I were shopping for a new drop away right now, I'd spend my money on the new Hamskea Hybrid Hunter. Very well built and super easy to set up and tune.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I use a Mathews Ultra rest on my Creed. I shoot 65lbs and have had 0 issues with it. Id gladly pay for another one if I had to replace this one.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I have been using QAD HDX rests since 2012 or so and I really like them. I don't see me switching anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I've shot the Limbdriver pro with no problems until I went to a carbon bow. Could not get it to tune for anything. I've shot the QAD before that, and again I'm back to that with my Carbon Spyder. If you bow is an aluminum riser, the limbdrivers are great. If it's a carbon bow, go with the QAD. A QAD on an aluminum bow is equally as good as the limb driver.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
QAD all the way! Love mine and we probably sold 4X as many as we did Ripcords and only ever sold 1 Limbdriver. Some lesser know fallaways work also and are alot cheaper.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I have both the QAD HDX and the Limbdriver Micro Elite. Both are great rests. Some archers don't like rests that are activated by their cable because they feel it can effect the cam timing on a binary system. I have not found this to be true when timing the cams and rest on my draw board. The Limbdriver can be activated by the top or bottom limb and the launcher can be changed for target or hunting. I have found if you pre-stretch the lanyard cord on the Limbdriver by hanging a weight on it, it seems to work better. I think the Hamskea Versa rest is one of the best rest out there, but expensive.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
For a budget drop away, I have had really good luck with my NAP Apache over the last several years. It is almost a full capture rest and other than being slightly bigger, heavier, I have had no problems.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Can't go wrong with QAD. I have the ld pro no problems in 2 years. That being said I may switch to a limb driven rest soon as I feel they are much more reliable.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Buckshot,

I have been using a QAD Ultra for a few years now. It has performed flawlessly. Having said that, I am in the process of putting together/setting up my "next generation" bow that should outlive me (Mathews Halon) and I recently put a Vaportrail Limb Driver Pro-V on it. I wish I could tell you that it is way better/worse but I have only put a few arrows through the Vaportrail. I am still waiting on a few ordered items before I begin to fine tune the bow.

In my opinion, both drop aways are very worthy. The one thing I like thus far regarding the VT over the QAD, is I tie into the limb with the VT. With the QAD, I am tying into the bow string (bow press required). I also like the idea that the limbs are a driving force in the VT, instead of "dynamic" bow responses in the QAD. Have I ever had a string break or a failure on the QAD? Absolutely not... And I try to shoot 2-3 times a week, year round.

They are nearly the same price so it will come down to group performance. I will know more in the next few weeks. Will let you know how it goes. As most archers are a very a*al bunch, I will give you my honest opinion in the weeks to come.

Good luck in the mean time.

Chaos USMC

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the suggestions, and advice. I opted to go with the limbdriver pro v, and so far I am happy with it. I tied it to the yoke instead of the limb. That gets rid of the long string the whole way to the limb tip.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I use the rip cord which has never given me any issues over the past 5 years. A couple friends use the QAD that performs flawlessly as well.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bought a Ripcord Ace this year and really like it so far. The micro-adjust is really nice for fine tuning your setup. I wasn't sure about the flipper being in a different spot than my old QAD but I had no problem adapting. Between the QAD and Ripcord you won't have an issue either way. I have no experience with the Limbdriver.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts