The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Which Camera are you using?

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Chuck Acorn 
#1 ·
Seeing all these awesome pics has made me want to buy a good camera and try taking photos my self.
Any recommendations on a good camera to get? Which one do you use?
I would like to get a SLR cam but no clue if they are worth it.

#3 ·
I got my first trail cam this year. Moultrie® Game Spy D-40 4.0 Megapixel Digital Game Camera. I mostly hunt game lands and turn off the flash so the camera is hidden at night. It was on sale for $69.95 when I got it and won't be out too much if someone cuts the cable or messes with it. It does the job for me and I will wait until the IR cameras come down in price until I get one. My only complaint is it takes 6 D batteries. I have a sony camera that I might hack this winter for a home brew cam.

#4 ·
Digital is the way to go. you can pay well over $500 for a good one, and $150 to $250 for basic and over $800 for a top of the line dig/slr.
As far as a straight SLR -unless you have the time and $ to develope.

#7 ·
Nikon D70s (discontinued) and three lenses: Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-S DX, Nikon 55-200mm VR, and Nikon 105mm f/2.8 AF Micro.

I'd recommend the D40 as a good start-up DSLR or the D90 if you're willing to spend a bit more. The camera body isn't that critical though. You want to concentrate on buying good glass.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

#9 ·
How much are you willing to spend. Because once you get into DSLR it going cost lots of money. I have a Nikon D40X It's a good starter Camera. You can get them pretty cheap now. Maybe think about buying a used DSLR Body and save the money for the lens...I would buy the lens new. I don't know about Canon lens but Nikon lens has a 5 year warranty on their lens.

I would go with Canon or Nikon. And if your going shoot wildlife I would get the 70-300mm it not going be cheap the lens is going run you about $550.00 or more.

As being worth it that all up to you how much you like Photography. I love my camera and was well worth it for me. Go the B&H photo website and look around they got about the best prices for DSLR and they have a used store. That where I buy all my Camera Gear.

#10 ·
A good DLSR costs some but a generation back body in good shape will last a long time and cost 1/2. If you decide to go Canon pick up a good used 40D and it will take awesome pictures for you. The real money goes into the lens and if you take care of them they will out last you.

My Stuff
Canon 30D
Canon 5D
Canon G9 point and shoot
Canon 17-40mm f4 L
Canon 24-70mm f2.8L
Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L
Canon 300mm f4 IS L

#11 ·
looks like I am the only olympus user here I have the Dslr e 500 and love it just need to get a nother lense most likely the 70-300 zoom and maybe Santa can bring me a wide angle lense for Xmas. I see no one recommennds the olympus camera are they not good quality.

#12 ·
lonewolf said:
looks like I am the only olympus user here I have the Dslr e 500 and love it just need to get a nother lense most likely the 70-300 zoom and maybe Santa can bring me a wide angle lense for Xmas. I see no one recommennds the olympus camera are they not good quality.
I don't really know if that is true. Its just I don't think they have a lot of lens. Where with Nikon and Canon they make a bunch of lens and other company makes them as well like Simga for Nikon. You can only go so far with a Olympus. I was looking at the Olympus website and they don't have any lens over 300mm where Canon and Nikon have up to 600mm Lens

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.