The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
the 338 wm has been doing what has been ask of it for years, its the caliber for elk, moose and big bears which is what its made for and does it great, not saying the 338rm or the 340 wby are not good they are, its just the 338wm, factory rounds are everywhere plus the range which you will shoot 300 yards and under at large game, big bears under 200 yards , is all u need

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
mythbusters disabled a vehicle with one shot from a 338. believe it was a 338 luapa. if it stops a car does it really matter what specific round?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
If ammo availability is a concern then the WM is the choice. If you don't mind stocking up or loading your own then the RUM is the way to go.
It is hard to get more powder in a smaller case but not hard to put less powder in a big case. Realistically the WM would have no problem doing everything you'd ask of it but you can get a couple hundred more fps out of the RUM and can download it to .338WM or .338-06 velocity if needed too.
Either choice will serve you well within your style and it boils down to want over need.

·
Registered
889 Posts
There is one word to describe the RUM's. And that word is "AWESOME". However because of the cost of ammo I think it is strictly a reloaders cartridge.

I do not have a 338 RUM. However I do have a 340 Wby. Mag. The rifle is over 20 yeatrs old and there was no RUM's when I bought the Weatherby. If there had been then I would have bought the 338RUM. I do have a 300 RUM. Tom.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 300 RUM now but I am lookin to get something bigger than a 30 caliber so I'm narrowed my choices down to these 3 - 350 Rem mag,338 Win mag, or 338 RUM I know my 300 RUM can handle just about anything I'm just lookin to get a new rifle

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
mdmlm said:
the 338 wm has been doing what has been ask of it for years, its the caliber for elk, moose and big bears which is what its made for and does it great, not saying the 338rm or the 340 wby are not good they are, its just the 338wm, factory rounds are everywhere plus the range which you will shoot 300 yards and under at large game, big bears under 200 yards , is all u need

That's what I would have said.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Gotta watch over bore case capacity isn't a good thing. thats whats bad with short mags. small bore and lots of case. 300 rum is right there but the 338 mags have a better powder to bore deal.IMO....later

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Not enough difference between the two to even worry about. Just the same I chose the ,338 WM because that's what I have.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I voted for the 338 Win Mag because I own a Winchester Model 70 in that caliber. Great caliber will kill any animal that walks in North America.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
When the 338 was introduced it was in a model 70 Winchester, called "the Alaskan". that sums it up.

The only plus for the 338 RUM is the lack of a belt. Unless you want to shoot 1000 yards there is no real ballistic advantage for the RUM. But the accuracy is usually better in the 338 Win Mag.

You might go onto the Remington site and graph the ballistics of the 338 win vs the 338 RUM. You would be surprised.

What would you use it for????

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have 3 or 4 boxes of once fird reprimed 338 rum brass i,d love to trade for some 375 rum brass
let me know if ya are interested
tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts