The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think the folks in Norristown will still be writing out 1st round permits when the 2nd round starts arriving.
Before I stopped mailing to Norristown, I used to wonder if they actually followed a "first in, first out" process or not...seemed to me like they just dumped the current day's mail on top of the old pile and processed as much as they could till 4:00 then called it a day.
I actually forgot to mail an envelope one year until the Monday it started, and had it issued by Thursday. The next year I mailed Friday morning and it wasn't issued until the Tuesday of the 2nd week.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Eight point, the problem with Norristown is they throw today’s mail on top of yesterday’s envelopes, so your tag might have been there earlier but didn’t get processed that day... So now starting tomorrow today’s mail is on top.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Eight point, the problem with Norristown is they throw today’s mail on top of yesterday’s envelopes, so your tag might have been there earlier but didn’t get processed that day... So now starting tomorrow today’s mail is on top.
I have half a mind to send my 2nd round app in now and see if they process it.
If they can't do a simple thing like put today's mail on the bottom, I'd bet $6.90 that says they would process my 2nd round app and not even twitch an eye...

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
If they can't do a simple thing like put today's mail on the bottom, I'd bet $6.90 that says they would process my 2nd round app and not even twitch an eye...
The County Treasurer would undoubtedly try to process it if you had two applications out there during the same round since they would have no idea you had already been award one for the first round. But, if the PALs system is working correctly it would not issue a second license in the first round. Then if the County Treasurer does as they are legally supposed to do your second application would be turned over to the Game Warden who would then coming knocking on your door. You could end up being cited for submitting too many applications in a single round.

There were years when I cited over fifty people for using that shotgun antlerless application process. They would send to more than one county thinking no one would ever notice. But, in many cases we did notice.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
That's how I remember it Dick.
My premise was to bring to light the inefficiencies of some of the treasurers offices and their ability to process these permits uniformly.
It's obvious by reading the replies that some offices are more efficient then others.
I got to know the one women who was in the office at Norristown.
If I remember right she told me that she was on her way to retiring so I am assuming she is not even there this year.
I don't remember seeing anyone but her when I used to show up in person so who knows who's in there now which may be adding to the issue with permits being expedited out of Norristown.
Does the PGC even monitor this situation by visiting those offices to see how they are staffed and organized ??

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
You’re probably right. They’ve done stranger things in the past. One year, they accidentally issued two tags for me in my 2nd choice WMU while there were still about 12,000 left in my first choice. I happened to catch it about an hour after they were issued during a website check. I called and the lady said, well, we already sealed the envelope, so I’ll just send you two for 3C that’ll come in a plain envelope. I assumed they would trash or void the 2 the issued for 5C. Nope.
a few days later I get a pink envelope and a standard business envelope from Norristown. 4 tags for the price of 2....

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
That's how I remember it Dick.
My premise was to bring to light the inefficiencies of some of the treasurers offices and their ability to process these permits uniformly.
It's obvious by reading the replies that some offices are more efficient then others.
I got to know the one women who was in the office at Norristown.
If I remember right she told me that she was on her way to retiring so I am assuming she is not even there this year.
I don't remember seeing anyone but her when I used to show up in person so who knows who's in there now which may be adding to the issue with permits being expedited out of Norristown.
Does the PGC even monitor this situation by visiting those offices to see how they are staffed and organized ??
The Game Commission still has oversight of the process and most Game Wardens will follow up with their County Treasurer to make sure they doing things the way the law and regulations require.

I know my County Treasurer was always a nervous wreck when I showed up at her office, especially while she was working on the antlerless licenses.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think ALL County Treasurers should have to follow the same rules. Among some rules, they should ALL start the daily work at the same time and process each day's receipts 1st before starting on the next day receipts. If by chance the allocations are a little low, a person's application received on the 1st Monday but didn't get processed that 1st day, could have day 2 receipts or more piled on top of his/hers. Not right. Not sure exactly what happened in my case this year - mailed my envelop from the physical Post Office (going to Honesdale) in Lakewood, Pa Wayne County. Based on past years, PO worker assured me that my envelop (along with many others) would be at the County Treasurer on Monday morning, 7/13. My antlerless license was issued at 11:35am on 7/17/20. I sent to Honesdale for 1st time (usually do Bucks County) because everyone up in that neck of the woods indicated that the Wayne County Treasurer processed things rather quickly. This is the latest that it has ever been issued. Not sure if issue was on their end or the mail never made it to the office on the Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday, etc. Luckily there are high volumes of licenses available in most of the zones so delays in seeing it assigned only causes a little stress.

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
check the PGC web site and watch the doe tag numbers drop by refreshing the page. someone, somewhere was issuing tags at 7:15 am on the first Tuesday. last year they were issuing tags at 7pm. i dont know which treasurers office was doing this, but someone was.

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
check the PGC web site and watch the doe tag numbers drop by refreshing the page. someone, somewhere was issuing tags at 7:15 am on the first Tuesday. last year they were issuing tags at 7pm. i dont know which treasurers office was doing this, but someone was.
I know of several that start processing by 7:00 on the first day they can accept them. There are also a few that will process all they get each day even if it requires their people staying overtime to get them done.

I also know there are some who are in their offices processing today, Saturday, and there are usually some processed on the first Sunday as well.

Each County Treasurer will have clerks that work on the processing and that number will depend on the number of personnel it takes for that county to do their normal daily work and what they have approved by their County Commissioners. That is typically based on the County's budget.

Some counties, though from what i hear not many, pay to have additional PALS terminals installed and hire extra clerks to work them during the antlerless application process. Some counties, mostly those with high volumes of applications for their local WMU, don't get too excited about doing them quickly because their voters don't have to worry about their unit selling out early and they don't care if those that can't vote fro them are happy with their processing speed or not.

Those are the reasons it is worth doing a little home work on how the various County Treasurers view and handle the antlerless application process. Some take it very serious and some not so much.

It is just like anything else that is consumer based, the customer should seek out those who do a good job and avoid those who do not.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
If you have RSB’s posts for the last couple years, and ya still don’t know where to send your tags you really aren’t paying attention!

81 - 100 of 116 Posts