The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought there was some place online that sold everything to part together flinters...fully inleted stock etc...finish and put together and go huntin...

I have an idea of what i want...i want a 54 or really a 58cal half stock Hawken style rifle...steel furniture...unbreakable ramrod 10-32 threaded on both ends..fiber optic sights...top of the line lock...roundball twist barrel..not super long..

I have a tc hawken and love the design..dont need a patch box and like steel over brass...could find a 54 caliber renegade and replace the lock...Siler makes a drop in.replacement...but thats 150$ or so....then still stuck with a 54cal.and 1:48 twist which is sometimes good or sometimes bad..mine shoots terrific...

Could i have a renegade reamed to 58cal?? Cant change the rate of twist in 50 or 54 cal and green mountain is about done...

My TC is a killer....but i will be the first to say the lock is rough..functional but i want better...

Not sure what the best route would be...i just want a completely functional deer huntin rifle...those long rifles are pretty..being historically accurate is cool but.not for me...

Thoughts? Suggestions??

·
Registered
5,106 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx! Thought it was siler..but could be L and R...

Track of the wold was the sight i.couldnt remember...thanx! Will see what i can figure out...

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Sounds like you want a custom muzzy.
For parts check Track of the Wolf.
If you want to bore out,check Bobby Hoyt.
You can probably go from 50 to a 54 with a 15/16 barrel and 50 or 54 to 58 with a 1" Renegade barrel.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
T/C made a 58 barrel for the Renegade. They are tough to find, but they are out there. Ed Rayl or Don Getz will make you any barrel you want, you can find them both online.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Pecatonica
Track of the Wolf
Dixie Gun Works
Dixon's Muzzle loader shop
jim Chambers
Tenn Valley Muzzleloaders
There are literally dozens of places

You can have a drop in made for your renegade in 58.

Or look for a used/abused renegade barrel and have it reamed and re-rifled.

Look into a later Lehman style rifle. There are a few outfits that sell them fully inlet, but in the white, meaning final sanding and finishing is left to you.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
A couple of years ago right about this time I ordered a new T/C Renegade in .54 w/out QLA from T/C,s Custom Shop.It was available in 2 barrel lengths and in .50,.54,and .58 cals.They also offered the same in the Hawkens.They told me it would be done by April when they would be makin their special f/lock runs.I call every once in awhile to check and they always told me anytime they will be starting.Well I get a call in late March or early April tellin me my deposit is returned that they aren,t gonna build em and maybe next year.I was severly bummed.They said they were restructuring.In other words that,s when the switch was on and everything was goin down hill.If I would have ordered it maybe a month earlier I would have got it cause when I ordered it they just finished a run.It would have been cool to own a brand new never owned Renny.I can,t remember the price but think it was in the $400-$500 range.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
I came close to orderin a Hawkin in .58 in the longer barrel too but figured I see this one first and if I liked it(which I knew I would)I,d then order a Custom Hawkin.I,ve called several times after the fact and always got the same answer.Sorry but the CS is still restructuring and don,t know when we will offer those again.I finally gave up early last year.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx guys!!!

I want a custom...but price is hard to swallow...but i have centerfires that cost as much....why do i throw the brakes on? Guess coz my hawken does the job...

Maybe i aughta just buy a lock for it....then try finding a renegade project gun in 54 or have reamed to 58...the 50 does fine but ive had a few i had to track 80-100yds hit in the lungs and without snow it may have been a lost deer...last years doe would likely been lost without snow and she was lung hit with a ballet...

Keep forgetting the hawken barrel is smaller...

I also want a smooth bore in the future...

Making smoke with flint n steel and black powder is addicting....

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I have a L&R lock and like it very much.............I know I will be getting a .54 custom Jaeger rifle made in the near future.
I like the shorter guns..............

Dave

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Most of the pa builders that I know of make long guns I think of you look a bit farther out west you would get a nice custom hawkin

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx guys!

If the stock is pretty much fully inletted, i can finish it and screw it together...if i gotta drill a couple holes or whatever fine..i cant inlet a stock or anything like that...

Track of the wolf seems to have fully inletted stocks..from there i buy the right barrel and lock and have at it...

Long rifles are beautiful....but i dont sit much in flintlock season...i am either pushing with buddies or attempting to still hunt...the half stock Hawken seems to fit my bill..

Barrel has to be able to take fiber optic sights...and ramrod gotta be "unbreakable". Other than that i just need a top of the line lock...barrel that shoots and a stock and minor furniture..thinking cherry stock iffin i can find one i like...we are in PA...home of the cherry tree...makes.sense to me! Lol..

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Green mountain not making drop ins anymore throws a wrench in things...

Cost wise just not sure....used flintlocks are hard to come by it seems..

Pretty sure i will leave my 50 cal alone as my back up and buy/build a Hawken of.sorts or buy/update a renegade

I dont know what the best road would be...probably aught just build a rifle..

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Steel over brass Hawken? Reading your post sounded like you were describling a Lyman GPR. I have one in .54cal. Thinking about ordering a full length stock for it.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
There is a RMC Accusporter in the used rack at Grices.........

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Buckshot1822 said:
Do you remember what they were asking for it?

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Coureur De Bois said:
Buckshot1822 said:
Do you remember what they were asking for it?
I'm not real sure but I think it was in the 600 dollar range....but it looked to be in mint condition....

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have one of the RMC Accusporters with 28" and a second 24" barrel for the stock that I use as my drive rifle. The longer barrel shoots a 300 grain .452 xtp and I use a 250 grain .452 xtp in the shorter barrel. Nice set-up depending on walking and stand hunting I swap barrels; both tack drivers by the way with 1/28 twist and one has to experience a deer getting hammered with a 300 grain xtp that is leaving the barrel at about 1600 fps; they don't go anywhere but down.

What Mauser is contemplating is exactly what I have been thinking about for a round ball twist rifle. I bought a .54 15/16" 1/70 twist 32" drop-in percussion and plan on putting it on a TC PA Hunter stock. There is a guy that will make a breech plug for it for about $100 with fitting and blueing and shipping. I have some opinions on shorter barreled round ball twist rifles with one being that they are nice to carry all day and quick to bring into action for short range but don't do real well at longer ranges in my opinion. A 32" staight barrel is a bit easier to hit with and can handle a bit more charge but is slower to bear but the longer barrel also gives quite a bit more velocity and range over the shorter barrel and the same charge. It's all about barrel length and velocity with a round ball barrel IMO because they lose speed pretty quick. A short barrel is fine but range of power and accuracy is limited. I also think the .54 caliber ball is a good choice for me because I like to shoulder shoot deer so I don't have to track or chase them; the heavier .54 ball IMO is better. I like saboted pistol bullets but I still gotta have a ball shooter too.

So; I guess you can still find a GM percussion .54 barrel and have it converted to flint; it would fit your Hawken stock and you could just use it as switch barrel. It could also be shortened if you want to do that. You can also still buy a .54 GM 36" barrel blank and have whatever you want built by someone.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanx guys...lots of good info and options..

I wouldnt mind a barrel a few inches.longer than factory TC...32" is probably about "right". I think.factory is 28...

I dont care about furniture color but like steel over brass...

I could probably buy a Lyman and be happy...thats another option i am kicking around...

I keep forgetting about having a barrel made...that "sounds" expensive...but i do need to look into it...

I am not having an issue with the 50...but blood trails are hit or miss...my last 2 were spraying all over..the one before them, without snow i.would likely lost a lung hit deer....

The beauty of flintlocks...the sky is the limit....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts