The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about a flintlock for a little while now and was hoping you all would help me get started looking. Could you guys make some suggestions on books or websites where I can get some good ideas/info. on styles from different regions, different builders? I kind of have idea in my head of what I would like, but would like to be able to see pictures of styles of rifles.

I was born and raised in York Co. but my father's family came up from southwest Virginia. So York/Lancaster Co. and southern Appalachian rifles are kind of what I'm thinking, but that's not set in stone.

And before anyone suggests it, I am planning on going to the Artisan's Show.:smile2:

Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Go to the Artisan's Fair, talk to every builder you can. Then you'll have more to work from to research.

Are you thinking custom build? Production that is as close as you can get to the style you are envisioning?

If you have any interest in doing some of the work on the build yourself, Jim Kibler makes a Southern Mountain Rifle kit that is very well done and most of the tricky work is already done for you.

Dixon's has a great event (Gunmakers' Fair) on the last weekend of July. That's a "not to be missed" event, as well.

Which day will you be at Lewisburg? I and several other HPA folks will be there on Friday if you want some help or just want to say hi and chat.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
LOADS of builders to talk to there.

I have two rifles built by Allen Martin... who posts on here, too.... and he's always one you want to stop and chat with. You'll have to elbow your way to the table through the drooling onlookers, though.... ;)

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Which day will you be at Lewisburg? I and several other HPA folks will be there on Friday if you want some help or just want to say hi and chat.
Maybe TDD will even furnish "refreshments"! 0:)

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Yep. I'll treat you all to an all expenses paid trip to the water fountain! :)

Maybe I'll dip into the moderator's expense account to treat you all....oh wait....

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
I read that Greg Dixon attended last year's show, so I suggest that you check to see if he is attending this year, and stop by his booth to find if he brought along his dad's book, The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle. Here, Chuck Dixon offers a brief, basic history of Pennsylvania schools of flintlock builders. He goes on to describe in entertaining detail how these rifles were built, and how the beginner can build one as well.

I think it sells for around $25., and is worth every penny. I bought my signed copy 28 years ago, and still refer to it with each new building project.

Best of luck as you enter the amazing world of flintlocks, but be careful as you go! It is addicting! At the show,you'll notice several attendees with glassy-eyed stares hovering around the professional flintlock builders displays. The addiction is partially caused by burnt black powder aroma!:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Dixon’s is setup at Lewisburg every year.

For those who use Facebook, the show has a Facebook page, and on there they posted the floor plan with all the vendors/exhibitors mapped out so you can see who is where.

Dixon's usually has copies of the book Berks is mentioning, IIRC, with them at this show. It'd only make sense...since people are there buying parts and tools and such.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Anyone serious about flintlocks without question should pay a visit to Dixons Muzzleloading shop. For I dont know how many years a group of us made our annual trip to the Muzzleloading Fair in July. You will see builders, some actual processes, and much,much more.
You can make a choice for a custom flintlock, or go inside the shop and drool over factory as well. Either way you will have a great time and more importantly learn as much as you have time to.
Absolutely anything you might need, including expertise is there.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for the start guys. My wife and I will be heading to the show Saturday morning. We've been up a couple of times in the past four or five years. Enjoyed the show, but felt overwhelmed. Was hopping to pick-up a little more knowledge before I went this year.

As too tdd's questions. I think it's going to be a matter of finding the right rifle at the right time. $4,000.00 or $5,000.00 is definitely out of the question and some of the production rifles I've looked at felt and looked not much better then a piece of pipe strapped to a whittled down 2x4. And building one myself is not happening, my skills set do not run in that direction.

Would like a good solid rifle, but don't need brass inlays or fancy carving.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
The assortment and variations in styles are exceptionally confusing. And it takes a long while to sort them out in the mind. I can certainly understand wanting a style that fits you family heritage. One of my GGGGGrandfathers was Jacob Angstadt. Unless my lottery number is pulled I will never be able to afford one of his originals, and having a true copy made would be half as much.

About twenty years ago, I happened upon a custom rifle made by a fellow up in New England, that was a sort of cross between a Shimmel and a Southern Mountain rifle. A long straight taper barrel, well tuned Siler lock and double set triggers. Plain walnut stock, and simplest and only the essential iron furniture. For a gun almost 5ft long it weighed next to nothing, balanced extremely well and was accurate to boot. It was the perfect long rifle for hunting the late seasons we have here. Not shiny, not a museum piece, and not something to be afraid will get scratched or ruined by humidity.

I would still someday like to make a copy of an Angstadt rifle from the glory days. but it would be a wall hanger anyway. Like a garage baby only taken out on perfect Sunday afternoons.

Along the way toward a heritage rifle, sometimes compromises are made that really take it out of the style you started trying for. Stick to the plan as much as possible if that is what you want. If you are after a excellent hunting gun, that won't be afraid of the woods, go a different direction toward utility.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I would still strongly suggest you look up Jim Kibler and his kits. You can get a really nice rifle and the tricky stuff is done.

Seriously... you CAN do it.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
At Dixon's Gunmakers Fair, there are seminars on rifle building and other subjects. I sit in on as many as possible. I take my camper and stay at a local campground for 3 nights so I can hit as many as possible. Most of my money is spent the 1st couple hours of the Fair so free seminars from then on work out great for me haha

·
Registered
112 Posts
Off topic: I will be attending the Gun Show in Oaks, PA this February. Do the gun shows typically have muzzleloader vendors, particullary flint lock rifles or is it mostly center fire and AR type guns?

·
Registered
359 Posts
The Oaks shows that I've been lean heavily toward ARs & modern firearms. Some dealers that carry in-lines. Maybe a handful that have flintlocks or percussion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts