The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some property and wanted to hang some no trespassing signs. My buddy said they have to be on a post and can't be nailed to a tree. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
There are NO sinage laws. Put them where ever you want. Signs are not even required, but a good idea to let people know where your lines are and that you don't want intruders. They don't even have to be signed if you do put them up.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Hang them in your barn, because the slobs won't pay attention to them anyway.

And most lawful people will ask first, whether there are signs or not.

·
Registered
25,593 Posts
There are likely more anecdotal stories about how to put up trespass signs, than there are home remedies for gout or PA cougar and bigfeets sightings.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
DennyF said:
There are likely more anecdotal stories about how to put up trespass signs, than there are home remedies for gout or PA cougar and bigfeets sightings.
Humm, "No Bigfeet" signs? I bet them Bigfeet can't even read. Not English anyhow.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I once heard that the no trespassing signs had to be put up touching one another the entire perimeter of the property in question. In addition they need to be in at least 2 other languages, one of which is written in brail

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
It is just plain dumb that property must be posted or fenced to keep idiots out. The burden ought to be on those wandering around on property to know where they are and make sure they have permission.

There is an old time rule: "If it ain't yours, don't touch it."

There are all kinds of myths about posting sign requirements. Height, signing, addresses, 50 ft apart, and other stupid nonsense. The criminal trespass statute 18 PA C.S.A.section 3503 (b) (1)(ii) posting in a manner....."reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders."

signs are not always required. Examples are where there is fence to contain livestock, or fence to designed keep out intruders, where personal warning to stay out has been communicated, where the intruder is present to threaten or terrorize the occupants, where the intruder lights a fire, or damages the property.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
hacimsaalk said:
I once heard that the no trespassing signs had to be put up touching one another the entire perimeter of the property in question. In addition they need to be in at least 2 other languages, one of which is written in brail
What a coincidence; I heard the same thing but without the brail requirement.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
There are no trespassing sign parameter's in Pa. And land does not need to be posted to be private, that is Pa legend and lore.

They do not need to be spaced "X" feet apart.
They do not need to be singed to be legal.
They do not need to be "X" high to be legal.
They do not need to be posted to "be seen" from anywhere to be legal.

Most of the lore about postings come from slobs that needed a way around it to not be deemed trespassing. But as one of the other guys posted before, the inside of your barn is a nice touch.

Regardless, "the most passed down traditions of Pa", trespassing will never go away unless there is some real teeth put into the current trespass laws.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
THe above is correct that there isn't any set rules for posting. Personally when I have done it I walk along and put them a decent distance apart so that if someone walks up towards the property they should be able to see 1 or 2. I would guess that they probably average 30 - 50 yards apart. Terrain and Cover play a big role in that. In more open ground or going across a field you can spread them out farther. Also on many properties there are likely "travel routes" that hunters will walk so I typically make sure that they are well covered. For example the top of a ridge, a utility Right of Way, etc.

·
Registered
25,593 Posts
Pretty much all the posters in the areas of Potter and Tioga that I hunt in, are along the roads. They are primarily "aimed" at deer season road hunters.

There is still quite a bit of land that isn't posted at all. The two of the three biggest dairy farms near me, have never been posted. The other one has posters up the whazoo along the roads around it. Owner allows very few people to hunt on his land. I am not one of 'em, although we get along otherwise.

There is one land owner (non-farmer, coupla hundred acres) near my camp, that has posters up all around his property. None of the farmers in the area where my camp is, do that. If they post, it's just along road frontage.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
To make them last a little longer, take a two or three step step stool with you and put them up high and out of easy reach. Also, try to put them on the least valuable trees you have.

·
Super Moderator
13,216 Posts
If you are nailing the signs to trees, I would recommend using 2 nails one at top center and one at bottom center for longevity; whereas, if you nail them at each side the sign will be effected by tree growth.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I post the entire perimeter of my property in a manner that a reasonable person is aware they are approaching a boundary line. Road frontage, high traffic areas line powerlines and benches get more signs, open fields get fewer. I use aluminum signs attached to plywood backer boards, and nail them top and bottom to trees that have little timber or wildlife value.
Posting land is not my preferred way to spend time, but I do think a well maintained line of posters tells all but heavy duty trespassers that this property owner is serious. Posting land doesn't always mean access isn't allowed. It clearly conveys that the land owner expects to know who is on their land and wants to grant permission to those whom they deem appropriate.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Unfortunately the slobs are protected.
Had an incident last rifle season with a trespasser, was caught and identified by us. When the state police and game wardens were contacted we were told that since we didn't have signs posted for No Trespassing or Safety Zone that no charges could be filed. We as property owners are required to "Show" ownership by placing signs so the trespassers and safety zone violators know not to be there. This coming fall seasonal signs will be placed on stakes around the property so they know not to be here.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Is it legal to use a copies of a sign an use them ? I want to make sure I have enough signs. Hate to post the property but last year I had my ladder stand stolen in Bear season. Pretty sure I know who it was. Its just that I did not get a chance to talk to them yet about it. Now they can find another place to Hunt. I know that the copys will not last long but it will get the point across.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Unfortunately, the legislature has their head up their butts protecting trespassers. Signs should not be necessary. However, for the time being, signs or fences are necessary.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
justgrad25 said:
To make them last a little longer, take a two or three step step stool with you and put them up high and out of easy reach. Also, try to put them on the least valuable trees you have.
Good idea
That ticks-off the "property line stalkers" that hunt around me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts