The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a look at next year's school calendar and it looks like I may have some time to get out of state for a hunt. But where to go? I would be leaving on Dec. 26 and would have 7-8 days to be gone. Where would be a good place to go? Southwest for quail of some kind? ND or SD for pheasants? Weather will be an issue. I had to cancel my first attempt to SD due to heavy snow. I'm not looking for spots, just options at this point. Thanks

·
Registered
594 Posts
This is a hunt I have wanted to do but have not had the chance yet... Fort Reilly in Kansas... excellent bobwhite quail hunting with pheasants and greater prairie chicken. It is a 16 hour drive from NW Pa.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Barberry said:
This is a hunt I have wanted to do but have not had the chance yet... Fort Reilly in Kansas... excellent bobwhite quail hunting with pheasants and greater prairie chicken. It is a 16 hour drive from NW Pa.
Sounds like something that might be worth checking out. Thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
AZ quail.

The problem with planning a hunting trip that time of year the weather is "iffy" everywhere except mabie Arizona. It would suck if you were planning on a big trip then and got snowed out.

Personally I would stick to PA that time of year and try to schedule my trips sept, oct, nov. Unless your going to AZ, then that would be perfect. I think you may need a couple of extra days unless you fly out?

JMHO

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Early fall trips are not an option for me. I work in schools and don't get vaction days to use during the year. So, Christmas break is the only time I have to make an extended trip anywhere. I already had to cancel a trip to SD due to snow in late December. I'll keep looking around.

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Call me a homebody, but I know where I'll be if grouse season is open in good 'ol PA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts