The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there ANY vet who will do Hips, Elbows, and Eye Cerf who may also be educated in collecting EIC and CNM samples? This way I don't have to run my dog to several vets?

When I asked my vet about getting my guys Hips and Elbows OFA'd he told me quote "I'll have to see what I need to do for that..."
After two weeks he never did get back to me, but I don't think I want my dog to be the first attempt at his OFA experience lol.

I have another vet I contacted that will do Hips and Elbows, however they do not do eyes.

Both vets looked at me like I was growing a second head when I mentioned EIC and CNM.

Second vet told me they would look over the EIC and CNM paper work...

I already have the CNM packet being sent to me but did not receive it yet.
Sire and Dam are both clear, but I want the paper work.
I want to know.

I know my guy is an EIC carrier, but the breeder has the paper work (which I could ask for and get) but the testing was done for the whole litter... I want the paper work for the dog and I want to know for sure it's his cheek swab.

I don't want to skimp on this stuff, but if I could save myself running around by traveling further and to a vet that knows what they are doing it would be a huge relief.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Call local a local reputable breeder and ask them. If you can find a vet that specalizes in reproduction they should be knowledgable about the different certs. If you were in this area I could recommend someone.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Marisse E
The vet you are talking about will be able to do the Hip & Elbow exrays and send them off to OFA in Chicago to be done. To get the eyes done you have to take them to an optimolagist. Go to CERFs website and look under events, They will usually list all the clubs that are doing eye registration clinics and where. Pick the closest one and go. Sometimes you have to pre-register. Here is a site that you can go to and get a free packlet for EIC & CNM and do it yourself and its cheaper than other places. Google (Animal Genitics) contact them and ask about the EIC. Also Make sure you either have your dog Tatooed or Micro chipped before the testing. To have your dogs hips and elbows OFAed the dog must be 24 months old. The other testing can be done anytime. Most vets don't know what your talking about when you ask about CNM & EIC. They will look it up online and charge you for something you can do yourself. Hope this helps. If you have any other ? you can PM me. I don't know if i'll have the answers but I'll try to help.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Everyone!
I'm going to check out all the suggestions.

Redlab, I already have the EIC and CNM info and packet on the way.
However I'm going the PIV (and the VPI lol) route so it has to be done by a vet, who has to also sign off that they checked the microchip.

Also getting his DNA on file... so whatever vet has to draw blood for that too.

fun, fun.

Edit: never mind the DNA through AKC is also a cheek swab, which I can do myself according to their webpage.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
REDLAB said:
Here is a site that you can go to and get a free packlet for EIC & CNM and do it yourself and its cheaper than other places. Google (Animal Genitics) contact them and ask about the EIC. Also Make sure you either have your dog Tatooed or Micro chipped before the testing.
After much debate I'm going to take your suggestion on using Animal Genetics for the CNM because OFA has them listed which I was surprised I thought only Alfort School of Veterinary Medicine (France) could do it.

I'm sticking with U of M for the EIC... but at least this way I do not have to ship crap off the France. Animal Genetics is way easier and cheaper.

But I am doing them myself... cannot imagine what the vet would charge to swab my dogs mouth.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Thats what I did and that why I suggested it to you, so easy and free for you to do it yourself. Plus if you had to send stuff to France whats the chance of it getting there uncontaminated?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to thank everyone again.

Made an appointment for Thurs-Friday to get his hips and elbows done. My vet won't do them and the other local vet never called me back..
So off to Quakertown. It's going to be a two day event because I called 4 other vets today and no one (including Quakertown) will X-ray him without seeing him for a wellness xam first. Ugh! But Quakertown does some of my Equine stuff so I figured I'd just use them plus they made the appointment for the exam and X-rays today, everyone else we had to see the vet first them make the appointment (more waisted time). What a pain doing his hips and elbows has been for me.

He is a really cool dog, lots of heart, great to hunt, and super fun to watch run! I will probably never breed him (never bred anything in my life) but I'll never say never and Id rather just get this stuff done and over with now just in case.

Now I just need time to get some more titles on him....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts