The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple guns I may want to sell and would like to know where to find honest, reliable prices; on-line or books.

Is Gander Mt. reliable as to prices?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Blue Book of Gun Values or check the sites Gunbroker or Auctionarms.Type in the gun you want to check.Go by the prices the guys are bidding on.NOT the ones that are asking big money.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
A big NO on GM. They expect to make 40% on resale, as told to me by one of them. Therefore they're knocking 40% off what the gun is actually worth used, if you trade one. Also their used prices (as well as new) IMO are usually way out of line. Check the "Blue book of gun values" to get a ballpark figure.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think 40% is probably normal mark up for a used firearm at a gun shop. I believe that, without exception, you will do better with a private sale. It's more work and hassle on your part, so you need to decide if the extra money is worth it to you. I don't begrudge gun shops the mark up. They have a lot of expenses that an individual seller does not. You just need to understand that you are also paying for a service when you sell one or trade it in at a gun shop.

I agree that checking prices on gunbroker and the like is the most reliable. As was mentioned, make sure you check the one's that are actually selling. Also, understand that gun prices are regional. Geographical location can greatly affect the worth of a used firearm.

FWIW, probably the best deal I ever got on a used rifle was at Gander Mountain. The scope alone was worth what I paid for the rifle. Had it been an individual seller, I would have felt guilty buying it. Gander Mountain should have known better.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jericho said:
Hal, the key is to be patient and not in a hurry to sell.
Especially at gunshows.
Yeah, I guess I'm not in too big of a hurry. I told my wife two years ago I'd sell one of my guns to help her with bathroom remodeling. Well, the gun is still at home.
Thanks to all of you for your replies. They are a big help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts