The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where do you guys look for used guns? ive been on gunbroker,gunsamerica, and gun auction. im looking for a mod37 ithaca deerslayer 20 gauge

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Your are on the right track with the websites, patience
is the key. Also check out newspapper classifieds and
start haunting the local gunshops.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
There are alot of those slug guns at good prices now, especially in Southern New York. Alot of areas went to rifle in the past few years, creating alot of sluggers for sale. Do some searches on the gun sales sites by area or zipcode, you will find some deals.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
gun shows are a good source for selection, but not necessarily price. not sure where you're at but theres a good one coming in january near Pgh. my brother got a really nice 50's model 37 20 gauge a couple years ago there for $315.

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
I frequent gun shops in rural locations. Generally a good selection of used firearms after the seasons are over. The vast majority of my "stash" were bought used, most at the shop near my camp.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Edinboro Outdoors has a lot of used guns. I bet Cabelas could track one down, they can search all of the Cabelas stores nation wide.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Get some yellow pages of your neighboring counties and call gunshops and ask if they have them. There is a gun auction that happens regularly in Gettysburg and from what I was told, the prices have been prettty good lately because of the ecomomy.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
jun, I can't say this enough, it works... Go to Cabela's gun library at all the stores. Look at Cabela's map for stores and call them ask for gun library guy. They will walk to used guns and tell you what's on shelf. The net carries so many gun's that sold and never take them off. I go and leave my number too. They sell over 3000 guns a year stuff always comein in that don't make the net. Good luck....later

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
In addition to right after hunting season (as mentioned by Denny F), another good time to buy them is just before April 15th when everybody is scrambling to cash for the IRS. And Joe the Logger is right about Southern NY. As more counties shift to rifles, a lot of real good slug guns (rifled barrels, scopes) are hitting the shelves of gun shops or in swap sheets

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
I have been to a few of these guys shows and they have some fairly nice reasonably priced stuff.
The sellers know the market so your not going to get a steal but the thing that makes it better then internet sales/auctions is you get to see and hold what your looking for.
If nothing else its something to do on a winter afternoon. Good Luck
http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html

·
Administrator
39,026 Posts
DennyF said:
I frequent gun shops in rural locations. Generally a good selection of used firearms after the seasons are over. The vast majority of my "stash" were bought used, most at the shop near my camp.
Same!Local shop around here always has a wide variety after the season.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
John S said:
Get some yellow pages of your neighboring counties and call gunshops and ask if they have them. There is a gun auction that happens regularly in Gettysburg and from what I was told, the prices have been prettty good lately because of the ecomomy.
That is Reddings auction.
http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionlist.cgi?vuid=8574

Here is another one that is a little closer to you and the prices are usually a little better than Reddings
http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionlist.cgi?vuid=1003

Forgot to mention, Reddings also has a gun shop

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I didn't know the name.

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
Yup. Plus I enjoy stopping at small gunshops in the boonies.

What astounds me, is the prices Cabela's asks for their used rifle and shotguns. Been there several times and they always seem to have plenty, but I would personally never pay what they want for them. Ever!

When I was there this fall, spent about a half hour at their used gun racks. Plenty of folks looking them over, some were of the same opinion as I am on the prices. Yet they were selling them, dozen or so lined up to buy.

Around here, Bass Pro and Gander Mtn. are no better, just fewer offerings. Enjoy gunshows, but have yet to find any bargains in used guns. Case in point, was one last year that had lots of M1 Carbines. All about the same condition as my CMP rack grade ones, at far higher prices ($100 and up), than I paid CMP for mine.

Heard one vendor tell a prosective buyer, that he could buy one of his Carbines, or wait three months and save the hundred bucks by ordering one from CMP. I could wait and did.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
great white hunter said:
DennyF said:
Jim, does Bees in Saltzburg stock any used guns? I always thought of them as a New guns store

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
There are alot of those slug guns at good prices now, especially in Southern New York. Alot of areas went to rifle in the past few years, creating alot of sluggers for sale. Do some searches on the gun sales sites by area or zipcode, you will find some deals.
I would have never believed it if I haven,t heard it from you guys.I would think MORE areas are goin to go to s/gun only,not the other way around.

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
NY started allowing rifles for deer in several western counties some years ago, now most are "rifle" counties, that were long shotgun-only counties.

·
Registered
869 Posts
good ole boy said:
Joe the Logger said:
I would have never believed it if I haven,t heard it from you guys.I would think MORE areas are goin to go to s/gun only,not the other way around.
+1

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
b&ghuntre said:
jun, I can't say this enough, it works... Go to Cabela's gun library at all the stores. Look at Cabela's map for stores and call them ask for gun library guy. They will walk to used guns and tell you what's on shelf. The net carries so many gun's that sold and never take them off. I go and leave my number too. They sell over 3000 guns a year stuff always comein in that don't make the net. Good luck....later

Cabelas is too expensive on their used guns.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts