The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short answer running ragged…LOL

Got a couple PMs and an email in my inbox asking this question in the last couple weeks and as always it is cool to know that some HPA brothers out there care enough to check in on me. To the delight of some and despise of others I am still here daily, but more of on a summer check-in pattern than daily contributor. Blame the great HPA staff here for that, they handle everything so well and gave me a leash so I ran right to the end of it…LOL…but the upcoming season and AWESOME chill in some of these recent days certainly having me looking for the company around the HPA campfire.

Now the long answer:

Been an incredibly busy few months, lots of excitement and good things happening, in fact if I would post about it all like I use too , I think I would have to quit sleeping , retire or run away from being a husband/Dad altogether. NONE of which will happen anytime soon. J

To summarize even though I posted about some of this here in passing, here it is in Christmas letter fashion:

We are still eating venison from last season when we are home for dinner that is, the best season we ever had as a deer hunting family was 2013 and looking forward to another great year. Went 7/7 on first choice doe tag requests and no we have not got them mailed to us yet , not that we will use them all but all desired areas got tags for the option.

Had a great trip to OBX again in June and caught a boatload of fish, in fact big fish frys needed before Fall that is for sure, needs the freezer shelves.

Still got the camp on the hill and the one over in Potter County and just closed in July on a local 18.8 acre piece of woods with a nice unfinished garage on it that will house my son’s never ending 1984 K10 truck restoration. 8 minutes from the house, and half way between the house and hill, so we are there about daily. Glad to report he is doing a real quality job on his truck it will be an amazing thing when done and all put together, his patience trumps mine easily. The garage will certainly help with that especially in the cold wet months.

Still assessing the new land but it hunted well for the former owner so excited to add that to the list of stand locations to the Fall lineup , but most exciting to me is that it has established habitat highlights on it like mature apple trees, timbered oak slash with good regen, berry bushes and areas of tight cover and a couple areas of mature oak stands. A nice lot for a camp or retirement house with utilities. Just a lot to take in and make a plan for and we dove right in. Meet some of the neighbors , with no posters up there like the yellow lined borders of the hill, it will be a more active location during the season I am sure which has its ups and downs. Great hunting all around there and a chance to get the boots muddy and legs tired unlike the confinement of heavily posted all around grounds. Still got a couple more folks to meet up there and to get permissions and introductions in place.

My oldest son and now my daughter both are shoot trap for their high school league this year and the local gun club now, was up to 3 nights a week for a bit which takes over life some but I heavily enjoy being a proud parent of kids in the shooting sports. Jessi never shot more than a BB gun before this Spring and I am happy to report her high score for the year was a 21/25…her first round ever was a 3/25. John shot great again this although slightly off last year’s pace early, but averaged in the 20’s, shot at States again and competition out in Ohio where his first perfect 25/25 rounds is now behind him. Joey may start in juniors next year at 11 years old, but right now he is 100% football (4-6th grade league)...might be time to help the trap coach out in 2015.

Remodeling our house a room at a time (never ending), which by the way got flooded a bit in May by the mighty Allegheny that runs thru the backyard. Not bad as it could of been but worst we ever had in our years there, I never saw myself as a FEMA type but they were quick and fair.

Mowing somewhere just about every night when it does not rain and still can’t keep up..but have learned to call it habitat if I can’t mow it regularly…LOL which helps. Tending to foodplots and forests as much as possible when a few hours in a row line up, shooting the crossbows and .22s before campfires when we can, even hit Potter camp this summer for a great trip with my folks.

Now gathering things for the Sept moose hunt in Quebec including knowledge of the beast and just getting ready for the whirlwind it will start that is a 3 month journey thru a hunting season with a hunt loving family. See On the Hunt forum on the moose hunt by the way.

And basically talking to God daily and often about this world and the direction it seems [censored]-bent on going, trying to stay focused on my role here, not change the world but guide my kids thru it. I worry about my kid’s world in the future pretty much on a constant basis, so I circled the wagons and I decided to dedicate my time to the job of making it the best present and near future times they can have, and hopefully the foundation that will remain and we set together lasts a generation or two after that…deep thoughts from this shallow mind continue, but I know the course to I need to take and will take down anything in my path to take it.

I said all this to say, RB is still around and would not ditch my HPA brothers EVER at least until flowers , condolences and donations to the family causes are required. I am trying to or maybe even am being forced by life to limit my on-line hours because there just is not enough time and it has fallen much lower on the priority totem-pole, but with the season coming up quick , and thermometer dropping down, you know there are stories waiting to unfold and be told and to be read, and I would not miss it for the world. Still running this place for the good of us all, all be it a bit more by proxy than it used to be.

Thanks for reading and for asking, those of you that did… Team RB is doing 2014 season warm-ups and training camps that I promise you, we got a crazy world yet again to unwind by sitting in the trees and looking up often and we will, we always do. GOD Bless and the very best of seasons to all yinz no matter what your game.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
very well said
....yeah this funny thing called life is a hoot at times

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks bud, lots of good folks in these parts...

·
Registered
987 Posts
I've never met you RB, but I certainly feel like I have from reading so many of your posts. I always take the time to read them no matter the length because I know I'm going to read something worth reading. Your definitely a stand up guy and family man like myself and I appreciate what you and all the other moderators have done to make this the best outdoor forum on the web. Take care and I'll be looking forward to reading more once archery comes in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts