The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to sight in my rifle today but I don't know where to set my zero. I'm using a Remington 700 30-06 with 150gr. bullets. I was thinking maybe two inches high at 100 yards. What do yinz think?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Depends what it's like where you're gonna hunt. Fields-mostly long shots,tight woods-under 100yds. But 2" high at 100yds is kind of the rule of thumb.A 150gr spire pt. at 2900fps 1.8" high at 100 is dead on at 200 and 7.9" low at 300. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
And if you don't want a challenge and wait till they're 100yds away it's .5" high at 50yds. All sighted in at roughly 2" high at 100yds.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I agree,I was just tryin' to give him an idea of how that bullet should hit at various yardages. The charts are only a guide though, nothing beats practicing at different distances.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Everything that life has taught me so far - tells me to tell you to sight in your rifle for the range that you anticipate shooting.

If your shots are all 100 yards or less, there is no reason to sight in your rifle for 200 or 300 yards.

I believe that my primary rifle which I used on Monday - Remington 760 Gamemaster 30-06 with `150 gr Hornady hand loads is sighted in one half of one inch high at 100 yards - which is at the top of the bulls eye since dead center would be zero of you want to use Cartesian coordinates as a reference/ most people would think that one inch high means one inch above the one inch bulls eye..

Because of the angle of my shot, the bullet entered the rib cage about 6 inches below the spine and exited through the spine. Don't ask me how. I would imagine that it was due to the fact that I was hunting in an area which I was not familiar with and my bullet was deflected by a tree branch.

In my mind, if I would have sighted my rifle in 2 inches high, there might be a very good likelihood that I would have aimed for the deer but shot a tree branch instead.
So sighting in my rifle dead center at 100 yards would have been the best option - had I sighted in my rifle this year.

With 5 other rifles to choose from, I have the luxury of putting it back in the gun cabinet until spring and then firing it a couple of times to confirm it's accuracy.

The end result is - dead is dead.
If you killed the deer dead on the spot and it did not run then what does it matter where it hits as long as it did not damage any meat.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Muab Dib said:
Dead on at 50. You'll be about 1 1/2" high at 100.

Muab
How do you figure.
Because of gravity - a bullet only goes in one direction - down - not up.
So if you sighted your rifle dead center at 50 yards the best it could do would be to hit dead center at 100 yards if it was a very flat shooting rifle such as a .220 Swift, other then that - most every 30 caliber rifle is going to hit dead center to low and there is no way to know where it will hit without taking a couple of shots and confirming it for yourself.

·
Registered
638 Posts
2"high at 100 yrds. and rock on....................

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Muab Dib said:

Muab
x 2... Big elk, my 06' is dead on at 50.. 1.5" high at 100. I know this becuase I have shot it to see... so I do figure..
Havne't shot 200 yet, but i'm guessing about 2" - 3" low at 200.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I was trying to say that the ballistics chart says for a 150gr. spire point at 2900fps shot dead on at 50 will be 1/2" high at 100 and 3" low at 200.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Big Elk Hunter said:
Muab Dib said:

Muab
How do you figure.
So if you sighted your rifle dead center at 50 yards the best it could do would be to hit dead center at 100 yards if it was a very flat shooting rifle such as a .220 Swift, other then that - most every 30 caliber rifle is going to hit dead center to low and there is no way to know where it will hit without taking a couple of shots and confirming it for yourself.
Big Elk, you obviously do not understand the crossing lines of the barrel and the scope. With a scoped rifle, there will be two "zero-crossings" when fired. We usually site in a rifle at 100 yards, and therefore "zero" the rifle where the bullet is dropping back down over the "scope Line"

But it had to get above it to be able to come back down.

A rifle might cross 50 yards going up, and at 100 yards coming back down.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
LarryD1130 said:
This thread is starting to get a little confusing.
Larry, no need to be confused. The majority on here said to go 1-2 inches high at 100 yds, as would I. it's good advice!

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Big Elk Hunter said:
Muab Dib said:

Muab
How do you figure.
The scope is level but higher that the barrel. The barrel is pointed up. The bullet travels in an arc up through the line of sight of the scope and then back down through the line of sight. It's called trajectory.

Google it. Once you see the diagrams it will make sense.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts