The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think alot of folks wonder where the traps we use are made. I am not saying any are better than others, just trying to let folks know where the traps they are using are made.

I try to support those that produce traps in the USA. I know price is important to each of us, but QUALITY and made in the USA is very important as well.

Here we go...

1. Oneida Victor - USA (Ohio)
2. Newhouse - USA (Ohio)
3. Bridger - Taiwan
4. Sleepy Creek - USA (West Virginia)
5. Duke - Korea
6. Minnesota Brand / MB - USA (Minnesota)
7. Montana - China
8. KB Traps - USA I think?

Again, before anyone flames me here, I just think it's very important, especially in these time with our rotten economy to buy American if we can afford it. And yes I did buy some Duke Traps before I knew where they were made. I may have missed some makers so add them if you'd like

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Your post should be edited to say *List typed on a Chinese computer while sitting in a Pakistan chair, wearing Vietnamese clothes*.

Bill Duke has done more for the American trapper than any other trap company. Bridger Trap is owned by the Caven family, owners of Minnesota Trapline Products and makers of Minnesota Brand traps. Buy what you want; both of these companies produce high-quality, cost-efficient traps. I'm a huge Bridger fan, and if I ever standardized my water traps, I would buy all Duke 1 1/2 coils. If we were allowed to use real beaver traps here in PA, it would be a tossup as to whether I would go to MB-750s or Bridger #5 coilsprings. In my opinion, Oneida Victors are about the bottom-of-the-barrel traps. Don't forget, ALL our fur goes out of the country, mainly to China and Russia. Even the auction houses are in Canada. I buy a trap once; I sell fur every year.

To each their own, though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not to take anything away from Bill Duke but duke traps over victor? Cost to cost basis yes but quality i have to disagree even though victors quality isn't what it used to be i for one would take a victor any day over a duke, just my opinion. I do like the duke dp

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob Jamison said:
Your post should be edited to say *List typed on a Chinese computer while sitting in a Pakistan chair, wearing Vietnamese clothes*.

Bill Duke has done more for the American trapper than any other trap company. Bridger Trap is owned by the Caven family, owners of Minnesota Trapline Products and makers of Minnesota Brand traps. Buy what you want; both of these companies produce high-quality, cost-efficient traps. I'm a huge Bridger fan, and if I ever standardized my water traps, I would buy all Duke 1 1/2 coils. If we were allowed to use real beaver traps here in PA, it would be a tossup as to whether I would go to MB-750s or Bridger #5 coilsprings. In my opinion, Oneida Victors are about the bottom-of-the-barrel traps. Don't forget, ALL our fur goes out of the country, mainly to China and Russia. Even the auction houses are in Canada. I buy a trap once; I sell fur every year.

To each their own, though.
This is just the stupid type of thinking that has cost our economy to flop! Listen, I'm not trying to start and argument with you or anyone, but it's kind of obvious that you most likely have more things made in "china or viet nam" than most do.

Yes, I have things made outside of the USA, but I always try to make INFORMED decisions when making a purchase. Apparently you don't!

All these folks you have mentioned are having these items manufactured in these third world countries because what really matters to them is PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT and not for the longevity of the sport.

My point is what you missed... If an AMERICAN product is available, buy it rather that something made elsewhere.

And if you want to use Duke over Victor, Go ahead but when another American compnay flops, I';ll say thanks to you!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Renny28 said:
Take that Bob! LOL!
LOL!

Yeah Bob!

LOL!

I'm not saying a word, I'm to tired to give a basic economics lesson via the keyboard. My trapline is tiring me nicely. Good luck guys and use what you'd like is what I'd have to say.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
It is very likely I will never buy traps again.
However if I did, given I am retired and on fixed income, American trap manufacturers had best get their little brains cooking and find a way to sell me their products at import prices.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
OldMink said:
American trap manufacturers had best get their little brains cooking and find a way to sell me their products at import prices.
I think it's against the law to use child or slave labor in the U.S. That's the only way they could make them just as cheap.

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
Thank you Mr.Boone for this thread.I think we need to keep abreast on which companies keep their products bein made here.I bought a couple new traps at GM a couple years ago(can,t remember the name)and they are made in Korea.The quality is terrible.I never ever had to work on my Victors.I will post tomorrow what brand they are.I wanted Victor but couldn,t find em.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I do make 'informed' purchasing decisions. I do a lot of study before I make a purchase. The Duke 1 1/2 is considered by many to be the finest water trap made. The Bridger #2 is one of the most popular canine trap made. Possibly the only Victor I would consider purchasing is the 1.75 4x4. I have a whole garage full of traps, and of everything I own, the Victor pinch pan is about the only Victor I like, and that's only because of the pan. I have a pile of Blake and Lambs; now that's one American trap company that I wish was still in business.

BrownTrout is worn out, so I will give a quick economic lesson; ALL companies are profit-motivated. Those that aren't are no longer companies; they are vacant buildings.

Bill Duke regularly and often donates traps for raffles and door prizes to many trapping organizations, and donates money to them; has EXCELLENT customer service; and continuously is refining his products and researching new ideas. That sounds like a solid company to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I own some victors and some dukes. I dont have a garage full but i have enough. I think both traps are good and the only reason i bought the dukes is because at the time i needed them i did not really have the money to buy victors. Things are a bit different now and with two 5 yr olds wanting to learn ,their first traps will be victors or another USA made trap with the exception of dp's.

T-R

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Here's a more succinct list; all are 1 1/2 coilsprings, regular jaw, per dozen:

Duke $59
Bridger $69
MB $168
Sleepy Creek $112
Oneida Victor $96
Montana (Montgomery copy, made in China) $60

Randy, let me know when you're ready for some Victors, I'll fix you up. I have some Montgomery square-jaw 1 1/2s I'd let go too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I understand the economics of a duke trap, but its very apparent that the main reason for there popularity is the price and not the quality, all of which start with the fact of using cheaper steel and dirt cheap labor, i for one won't spend my money on them with the exception of the dp

·
Registered
679 Posts
dawalt said:
I understand the economics of a duke trap, but its very apparent that the main reason for there popularity is the price and not the quality, all of which start with the fact of using cheaper steel and dirt cheap labor, i for one won't spend my money on them with the exception of the dp
It doesn't start with cheaper steel and dirt cheap labor. It ends there. It starts with this free trade globalist economic policy that our own government has set in place..
Call me a protectionist but I don't think its a good idea for our country to have free trade with countries that have lower standards of living both in and out of the workplace. If we are to compete with them then we will have to adopt the same standard of living here (i.e. child labor, slave wages, etc)... Bill Duke may be a great man for the trapping community, but he has sold out when it comes to the American economy and our workers.. There are some companies that still make a quality trap here. The Cavens for example. And they do this as a matter of principle and their price reflects it, as it should. I personally will buy traps, as I can, made in a 1st world nation, my American workers who make a 1st world wage, and if it means I have less traps so be it..
For those of you who want a cheap trap made in a third world nation, then I hope you enjoy sitting back and watching us dwindle away to third world status ourselves...
What does one man's purchase do you might ask? I'm sure my purchases from the Cavens have encouraged them to keep their jobs here..
The real problem lies in our political system though and this is not the forum for that discussion..
To those who buy American, I thank you.
Good day

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
good post. i just finished making a skateboard made with all usa made parts so i don't have to check my trapline while driving around with gas that came from out of the country.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree and in the end an American made trap is still superior to anything made strictly overseas and i for one will pay the extra for it.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
The bridgers are actually a good trap, but I am lazy and would rather spend the extra money on a wide jaw out of the box ready to go like the MB550. I need only get the grease off and allow to rust like with any other trap. No baseplate welding, center chaining, night latching, pan leveling, ect. It's already done. Just the right size and strength for any fox/coyote, and as many good paws as any Bridger or softcatch. Regarding padded jaws, the Victors are quite nice. No live market here, so no need to get into double laminations and whatnot.

One trap I really like but not made anymore are the Victor double jaw 1.5 round jaw with pinch type pan. They are great for coon and mink. I also have Sleepy Creek dj #11's, and have caught many coon, mink, and muskrats in them.

Lastly, I have a number of Bridger 330's which I also find to be a great trap. Kills beavers dead fast- and otters without them even moving from the looks of it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Price probably has alot to do with how lazy the american worker has become also.I run a business and can tell you if they are under 30-35,I can't really use them.Too many little crybabies still being breast fed by Mommy;imo
I use almost all Dukes water and land and have 0 problems with them.For my money,I'll have twice the sets out,and know my Dukes will hold them
American quality isn't even close to what it once was either.We give to many handouts to welfare people to compete with other countries.I did the math on my helpers girlfriend and she would have to make $15 to equal what she gets for free from the gov't.This is someone with no skills too so unlikely she will ever work.and, thats just to get what she doesn't have to do a thing for now.more likely she'd want $18-$20 hr so she would reap a benefit from working.
American's taking pride and working hard is long gone.Though a few of us still have that ingrained in our minds from being raised properly

1 - 20 of 53 Posts