The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can find all sorts of info on Goex>:) powders ff and fff speed, pressures , but very little on Swiss ff or fff . Does some one know of a posting or chart?:sniper: looking for .50 load info with Swiss FF and .490/.495 ball and patch

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
if you can't find the info you want, let us know. I think a friend of mine has swiss and I can get some and run some loads thru the chronograph and we will see exactly what the difference is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got good groups with goex fff 70 grns .490 and .018-.020 patch but 2nd 3rd loads were very hard to load. Mr Dixon suggested Swiss ff (stating that is nearly the same size as goex 3f but a little hotter/much cleaner , not swiss fff due to blowing patches) he said drop 10% grains = 60-65, neither gave great groups, but I could load with out wiping between shots(much cleaner). I will try 50-55 swiss ff .490-.495 .018patch. I'm trying to find the speed+ pressure differences to adjust my swiss loads. so how much Swiss ff = 70 grns Goex fff ?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
if it were me, I would stay with the Goex, simply because it is easier to find. what are you using for lube? you could also try .015 patches. once you get the right combo, there should never be any reason to swab between shots, but it does take time at the bench.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
The old starting spot was 1 grain / caliber and go up.Old timers would put a RB in the palm of their hand and pour powder over till covered.More is not better.I kill deer with my small frame 45cal TC Cherokees and Senecas with 45-50 grs.
With Swiss I would try 1 1/2 or 2F and 45-50grs and SLOWLY work up.Good tight patch,RB,good lube,and mop every 1-3 shots should get 1 1/2" groups or less.
Here is a good article Chuck wrote.

M/L Basics

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
the only load that should load any different is your first. you are loading a clean barrel and it will go down easier than the rest. after that, your 30th load should go down no different than your 2nd. its a matter of finding the right powder, charge, patch, patch thickness, ball size and lube. consistency is what to strive for, the same way every time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lubes
Gato feo=1part beeswax ,2 mutton tallow 2 paraffin melted together and rubbed on patches.

2nd bear grease + bees wax (feels & looks like Vaseline )

I use 91% alcohol or windex to clean 1 wet patch 2 dry wipe the frizen and powderpan 91% alcohol

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
In my personal journey with MLs, ....I've never found switching brands of black powder making a noticeable difference when it comes to accuracy. The amount of powder...ball size...patch thickness...material, and lube, I have found to be rather critical. Each rifle has been different. Each has had its own taste buds... knowing what it likes to eat.

For heavens sakes...everyone should experiment!

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Switched from Goex to Swiss about 15 years ago and never looked back. Much cleaner and superior granule consistency compared to Goex. I backed off approx 10% of prior Goex load and receive same chrony results. Best to work up your loads as each rifle, projectile etc can vary results. Best of luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
From forum reports that I've read, Swiss is approximately 11% denser than Goex, so a 10% reduction makes sense.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I use this, Shoots about the same as swiss, low odor not much residue, The 2f is the size of goex 3f. That's shoots great in all my inlines, and flinters, Who ever said you must practice was right as each gun likes something special, A lil less powder. thicker patch etc.

Good luck, Stant

Schuetzen Black Powder 2 Fg (FFg) 17.35 Lb

Swiss 2fg 24 Lb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts