The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No specifics unless you want to. Not looking for exact locations here. Just what type of habitat and area are you choosing for your first sit.

The SGL I hunt is bowl shaped with some AG and thick cover in the bottom. I'm going to hunt an oak flat about half way up the mountain that I just hung my climber on over the weekend. It's on a hill right below (30') of major doe bedding. The doe bedding was clear cut about 20 years ago and it's around 2 acres of think dense cover. The deer are actively feeding on this flat as its all ground up dirt and acorns that the doe feed in on their way back to the bedding area in the morning. Evenings never produce here.

For the afternoon sit I'm going to hunt 150' below a bench that doe are known to bed on. Hoping to catch a couple on their way from the bench down to the AG field for their evening feed.

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
Have to work so if time permits it will be somewhere close to the road. At least I will knock the rust off .

·
Super Moderator
26,947 Posts
Dead center in the middle of the state forest. Several roads and trails in the area, so I guess it won't really be "way back" in there. 😉

I have two spots picked out that I haven't yet decided which one to go to on the opening day. Maybe one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. One isn't terribly far off of a foot trail (doesn't look heavily used, but it shows on the map) so I might hit that one in the morning. Both stands have a fair amount of acorns around them, with recently used deer trails intersecting, and not too far from some heavy cover. A new area for me this year, so hoping for some luck as well.

·
Registered
870 Posts
It’s really a coin flip at this point. Got a dream scenario shaping up for this fall. On the east side of a historical bedding area a hay field has been converted to corn for the first time in 20 years. To the west I’ve got alfalfa and beans.

Zero chance of predicting which field my target bucks will head for before dark but I’ve only gotta get the coin to flip right once.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s really a coin flip at this point. Got a dream scenario shaping up for this fall. On the east side of a historical bedding area a hay field has been converted to corn for the first time in 20 years. To the west I’ve got alfalfa and beans.

Zero chance of predicting which field my target bucks will head for before dark but I’ve only gotta get the coin to flip right once.
50/50 isn't bad when it comes to deer hunting.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The first day morning will probably be near some bedding trying to catch something coming back and evening will be near a field edge. This property is near ag and has some good cover and is really only worth hunting until the end of October so I plan to hit it hard for the first few weeks switching up spots. There's some apple trees that are really producing this year so it should remain a good spot until the leaves are off or at least that's what I've experienced the last 4 years.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'll be in McClure/Bannerville area in 4D. I revisited camera pics of Baby Groot from last year and he was moving a few times in the morning daylight the first 2 weeks of October. He seems to be a night owl in the evenings though. Usually no pics until 9-10pm. I plan on hunting him the first morning if conditions are good. A North wind blows straight down the trail but I am higher in elevation and it is very thick in front of me so it shouldn't be a big deal. E or W winds are not ideal but a W wind would be the absolute worst and a S wind being the ideal wind. I planted a small 1/8 acre spot in winter rye a week and a half ago so that should be greened up come season.

In the evening I may try and locate a buck that we haven't gotten pictures of yet but I know is a homebody on our property. His name is 8-ball. There is also a 4.5 year old I named Creed that we haven't gotten pics of yet either that lives in that area as well. He will be getting a pass but would love to set eyes on him.

As of now I only plan on hunting my top guy Baby Groot in the mornings when he is more of a day walker and leave him alone in the evenings until my cameras say otherwise. I need to be careful with him as I don't want to blow my chances on killing a 160" buck. I've found that mountain buck are a lot easier to close in on in the mornings rather than the evenings. Especially early season. Drives me nuts when all these "Pro" hunters on the outdoor channel say hunting mornings is a waste of time in the early season. Apparently they've never hunted mountain buck.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My opener will be on the 26th in ohio. As long as the wind is right i will be on a bench below an oak flat.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I’ll be at the spot I killed my buck last year. It’s at the base of a mountain on a ravine. The bottom is full oaks and there’s a pretty good crop this year. The base of the mountain is very steep up the first bench, except this ravine that acts as a perfect funnel for game going up or coming down. I’ve never archery hunted the spot before but there’s sign everywhere, I’m pretty positive I’ll get to look at some deer on Saturday.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I'll decide the night before once I can see what the wind will be doing. Mornings are tough in the mountains because of access, so I'll probably hunt down low and try to stick a doe.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I do not hunt on opening day just because its the first day we have 7 weeks to hunt and I kinda hunt smart rather than often the 1st time in a stand you have the best chance of harvesting a deer each time after the chance drops just due to they know you were their,So if my cams tell me their is a reason to be up in one of my stands then ill hunt but if they dont then ill wait for the right time I run 15 to 20 cams some for deer some for bear so I kinda wait for the right time

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Hunting acorns on public land in 2B this Saturday, acorns on public land in Ohio the following Saturday and acorns in 2A the Saturday after that.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I’m pulling my cameras that have been up all summer in the next week or so. I’ll take a gander at what’s on them and make a plan from there.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Semi-rural in 2C. Woodlots range from 30 to 80 or more acres, interspersed by roads and houses along the roads, large corn and soy fields close.

Need to check the "front side" of my one neighbor's farm. If there is a heavy acorn crop, they will linger in there longer in the morning on the way back from the crops. My stand site is on the "back side", closer to the bedding areas.

In the big acorn years, that holds the deer up on their way to the thick stuff, the action can go really late into the morning. No acorns, they cruise right thru there and after a couple hours of daylight, they're all tucked back in the brambles.

·
Registered
18,708 Posts
Tomorrow will be in 2B in a funnel between small woodlots in a residential area.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Can't believe we're getting a north wind for opening day in September! Must be climate change??? I'll be in a ravine along a hard outside river bend that has good oaks dropping acorns. I have a mock scrape in there, too. Maybe the front coming through will have a buck on his feet! Good luck, everyone and be safe!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
In 3A... if on call for work it will be in a funnel in Tioga . if not it will be between 2 food plots on a ridge near Ulysses in Potter. Either spot holds large bucks on pics. We had a very good frost this morning north of Wellsboro.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts