The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys two days after the hurricane passed I was into woodcock in Central PA. I have talked with numerous people and everyone has had the same experience. For the past week nothing is showing up in my haunts. I can't believe they are done. Is anyone seeing them up north along the NY border. Or is anyone have any information on NY and their wood cock status. I sure hope that the migration through PA is not over. Any feedback would be appreciated as these birds are a passion of mine. thanks tom

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Before the hurricane we saw quite a few in Bradford County, haven't seen many since, but we haven't targeted them either.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
A buddy of mine flushed four in Bradford County
Saturday morning with his Springer.

·
Registered
964 Posts
In northern Clinton/southern Potter we saw very few this past weekend. Biggest numbers we saw were back in mid Oct. Not much since. I don't know if the flights are through or if we're just between flights. Guys I know in New Hampshire are still seeing what they believe are flight birds, so who knows??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big Don I am hoping you are right. They had some snow last week but then it warmed up. Three weeks ago there were a ton of birds in New Brunswick, a friend of mine was up there after them. I hoping the hurricane messed with them and its just holding up things. Maybe someone looking at this site from New York area will chime in.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hunted Chenango county NY (Pharsalia, etc.)on Saturday- flushed 1 woodcock. First weekend in October flushed 12 or more. Im of the assumption they have mostly past through our areas.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Gentlemen,
Accordinjg to my friends in Canada, the big flight has not
reached us yet, it has been to warm. Hopfully next week
the flight will get to Potter/Tioga, we will see. I hope we do not miss the bulk of the flight this season.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
964 Posts
Woodcock are kinda hard to figure out. My best hunting buddy lives in New Brunswick and he says the "little russet fellas" are gone for the year up there. He's a dedicated woodcock hunter with a crackerjack dog so I tend to believe him, however I'm not at all sure they've all passed through here yet. Maybe, maybe not. Funny thing is some will go as far as Cape May, NJ and hang out there for a lot of the winter. They hunt them successfully down there in January. I hunt the eastern shore of Maryland in mid January and if you hit it right there will be a lot of birds. So who knows??

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Big Don,
You are absolutely correct, the flight is hard to figure some times, usually however we get some serious Woodcock hunting here in Potter, and this year so far the flight has not shown itself. We will see what this next week or so brings.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I got into decent numbers late October and they've petered out since. I would be okay though for a big influx arriving the night before Thanksgiving however.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'm also hoping they show up in numbers within the next week. It'd be a little late, as compared to most other years, but it sure would be a nice surprise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The bulk of what was around got up in the winds of Sandy and headed for parts unknown. I've never seen them clear out so abruptly.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Gentlemen,
Sandy may have really screwed the flight up this season,
if we do not see anything before Thanksgiving I am afraid
they have passed us. Here we usually see the flight around the 2nd week of Nov for at least 2-3 weeks, this year so far nothing but a few residents.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Just got back from a 10 day muzzleloader hunt in Sandy Ridge, North Carolina. The woodcock were all over the place.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
When I put 17 up in a 5 acre patch 2.5 weeks ago, I figured the main flight was all ready on. I think some birds will continue on through in the wake of the big numbers, and many guys might have missed the boat this year.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts