The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Southern 4 D seems to be lacking in Squirrels.
Saw 2 opening Rifle .
Saw 0 Friday/Saturday afternoon prior to rifle.

In 4 hunts saw 1 squirrel in 12 hrs of hunting in 3 different areas.
Area around camp pretty slim Pickens. 4D Martins Gap area.

Anyone experiencing the same?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
4A SF land is same. right around my camp in the river bottoms is loaded but not huntable, legally anyway.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Found over the years that when the leaves come off they are hard to hunt.Active times are 1st light for about an hour and last hour of the day.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
We've had a pretty good squirrel season so far, but to be honest, we haven't been seeing them while deer hunting. When you start hunting them again, try to key in on the hickories. Haven't found many acorns, but everyplace we find hickory trees, we start shooting squirrels. Mostly grays but some real nice fox squirrels too.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was out deer hunting today and thought myself that if was lacking squirrels. Couple inches of snow and ice didn't help either..

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Squirrels don't normally like the snow too much unless it isn't very deep or they can walk on top of it. Seems weird in other states they say they are out all over in the snow but that is the way it is. You will see them in trees cutting buds and pine cones when the snow is deep or not to their liking. Squirrels are pretty hard to predict though. One of the best days I ever had with the dogs was a New Years day and there was snow on the ground and the temperature only made it to ten degrees. They usaully start to rut near the end of our season or go into pre-rut chasing. Dogs treed three squirrels in one tree once near the rut. What was really odd is that one of them was a fox squirrel and two of them were greys.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Once the snow came down I saw more squirrels than i did deer during rifle season. During the last week of the season i saw many squirrels while i was out hunting. Seems like they like are in the hickory trees this year.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
I've been seeing more squirrels than you can shake a stick at in 2D. (And I can shake a stick at alot of squirrels!) On the first Saturday of deer season, I know I saw 20-30 squirrels over a hillside I was watching. There were 8-10 at a time, fox and grays. Heading out in the morning to hunt some. Looking forward to a great morning with the warmer weather rolling in. Hopefully I'll get some pics posted tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts