The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, picture below was from this past fall archery season. I was deciding between two locations & I obviously chose the wrong one!! You can see my stand seat on the left of the picture just above the turkeys. Yes, that is a very nice buck in the pipeline.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Im sure this type of thing happens a lot, its just that we usually dont witness it.

Similar situation happened with my son and I a few years back. I can see his stand, its almost 200yds across a open field, from my stand. One evening he decided to use his climber and sit in the same wood lot as me. That evening I watched a really nice buck walk within spitting distance of his unoccupied stand. He was not happy at all when I told him, and shown him the pictures.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
Two of my favorite stands are within eyeball distance of each other. More than once I've pondered where to start, picked one and then got a glimpse of a buck scootin' past the other one on opening day.

Years when everything worked out just right, naturally I'd congratulate myself on being a genius for picking the right spot.

I'd flip a coin, but would likely lose it in the leaves at 0 dark thirty?

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Greatest chess match ever...you move, they move!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
That happened to me a few years ago when i was after a nice buck on my property. I had cams at most of my stand locations and when checking my cams he was going past multiple stand sites, sometimes in the same day when i was sitting in other stands. I was lucky and got him in the end though. Thats why its called hunting. If it was easy i doubt some of us would even do it.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Exactly why I quit hunting fields 15-20 years ago.

I found it a lot easier to place stands on movement corridors leading to & from fields. Once they hit the field it's 100% a crapshoot as to where they will drift to.

Imagine wanting to fish from the bank......with a spear. Gonna fish from the banks of one of the streams that leads INTO the big lake or on the bank of th big lake itself ??

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Strut10 said:
Exactly why I quit hunting fields 15-20 years ago.

I found it a lot easier to place stands on movement corridors leading to & from fields. Once they hit the field it's 100% a crapshoot as to where they will drift to.

Imagine wanting to fish from the bank......with a spear. Gonna fish from the banks of one of the streams that leads INTO the big lake or on the bank of th big lake itself ??
Great point! That's why I spend so much time locating bedding areas. Locate the fresh sign near feed before you hunt and you will have a good idea where they are coming from, then set up accordingly!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Think FUNNELS,wind directions,public land parking areas,stay as scent free as possible,a little luck and remember to say a little prayer when you arrive/leave stand site...some of those prayers get answered soon after you are in stand!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts