The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When will it be? We have found them on April 1st before but I don't think that will be the case this year with the lower temps this week. I'm gonna say second week of April.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
unfortunatly with this colder weather it wont be as early last year. I would say 2nd week in april is safe bet in southern part of state pending some warmer weather.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
gonna be chilly all this week too so i would so at least the 15th in westmoreland county.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Black Morel"s are up as of today at 3:30 we found the first black Morel musrooms of the year in Fayette County the ones we found where to small to pick yet but by saturday i will be eating fried mushrooms for dinner

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Looks good!!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Switched said:
Found 5 small morels this morning in Mifflin County.
My 1 buddy asked me what I was doing this saturday, I told him "Doing some morel hunting" He laughed and told me that there is not going to be any morels in the central PA area till end of next week or the week after...I made the comment that many have been saying on different sites that they are finding morels (On Facebook's morel site, there is pictures and reports of morels found last week in northern Ohio) He would say your Mifflin County find is a Internet lie, all made up to get many wondering around for nothing.....he keeps saying we need 70 degree days for atleast a week and night time temps in the very high 50s and mid 60s! How do you get thru to thick headed folks that it really doesn't depend on the temps the feel but the temps the ground feels by way of south facing mountain sides and warm ups of other ground areas due to underground heat sources???

Im NOT MISSING my chance this year like I've done in years past, always left others tell me it was to early and I ended up NOT getting a chance to find morels to eat!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Foudn my first one of the year on April 15th!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts