The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when it's not hunting season this is what we do, we build , maintain and mud race our chevy truck. i just got done putting in a new engine 2 weeks ago a 496 BBC. we got the bugs worked out for this bog.

jefferson county fair, brookville pa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2ePR6fZ5NE&feature=c4-overview&list=UUf4eLs8_tsd5w_gI6fYVfmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6isMWm6d4k0&list=UUf4eLs8_tsd5w_gI6fYVfmQ

our regular place with the previous engine a 383 SBC, shortys hollow in girty pa. it's near elderton, pa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb_QxWgm6sA

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Looks like you have a fun time, and I agree about hearing the sound of that engine...

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Looks like a very cool hobby.

Educate me, I believe the way they judge the winner in what you do is buy who goes the farthest....????
If that is the case, what would be the difference ......with the same truck.....between a 350 and your 496 as far as distance, and why ?
I very much get the difference in horsepower and torque, just looking for the reason that works in your sport.

Thanks///

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is timed if you run the full pit. If you don't get a full pass it then goes on distance and time to get that far.

Most pits around are full pass with most trucks. Only the slower trucks may not make it. The county fairs that have them usually make the pits tough so the show is better but it will still end up drag racing for the fastest time.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I didn't realize it was also a timed event, which explains the need for the bigger HP, to turn faster wheel speeds.
Looks like fun, thanks for the explanation.

Does your 496 run on gas or alcohol ?

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Out of curiosity, what type of vehicle/set up does best on average. Light/heavy, what kind of speed, vehicle set up, etc.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Generally you pick which brand you like and build it. Base that on parts availability too. Chevys pretty much rule though around here. You can go light and fast and try to stay on top if the mud or even be heavy and dig down. It varies on the type of mud also. Some pits are thick and some are thin and deep. There's a ford 7.3 diesel that has been doing good at our local pit. He stays on the bottom and pushes thru 3' of shale/ dirt/ mud.

My truck has been gutted and lightened. I am trying get it to stay on top. I have changed tire sizes to get more bite with the bigger engine.

I tell anyone who wants to start, buy an old Chevy truck and just start racing it. Buy a set of good tires ' Boggers' , and weld up the rear end at least.

Automatic transmissions are the way to go. If you have enough power you'll be able to shift and keep your momentum.

Mine is an '85 3/4 ton with 1 ton axles( Dana 60 front and 14bolt full floater rear). Locked front axle welded rear. Th400 trans, 203 t-case. Mybtrans has a full manual, reverse pattern valve body, it shifts when i tell it to and stays in that gear. Gutted cab. Electric water pump,fan, fuel pump. Vortec starter. Leaf springs yet. Front is higher then rear with weight added on rear for traction. Tons of time and money.

We race for money. Most of the time it is 100% pay back. At $20 per class per truck. 20 trucks enter a class, $400 total ,1st place gets $200. We race usually 4 classes at a bog. I have different sets of tires and I do NASCAR like changes, except with 35" and 38" tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts