The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many are up in arms about the new Saturday Opening day. I was just wondering who recalls when Opening Day was before the change in the early 60's.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Fewer and fewer guys doing traditional deer camps. They are the fellows who are upset. They can always have their camp open the season on Monday. Nowhere is it written they MUST hunt on a Saturday opener. But then some of their guys just might be afraid someone else will shoot "their buck".

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Fewer and fewer guys doing traditional deer camps. They are the fellows who are upset. They can always have their camp open the season on Monday. Nowhere is it written they MUST hunt on a Saturday opener. But then some of their guys just might be afraid someone else will shoot "their buck".
this keeps being repeated and keeps being completely ridiculous and incorrect

·
Banned
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well put....

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
From day one of the proposal I have been neutral. I personally see and understand/accept the pros and cons of the change. IMO the pros of the change ultimately outweighed the cons, and I support and agree with the BOC decision.
Ultimately I agree with your view that some hunters are afraid someone else will shoot "their buck". Why else would some people be so worried that others will be in the woods before themselves?

Good luck, Tony

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Fewer and fewer guys doing traditional deer camps. They are the fellows who are upset. They can always have their camp open the season on Monday. Nowhere is it written they MUST hunt on a Saturday opener. But then some of their guys just might be afraid someone else will shoot "their buck".[/quote

From day one of the proposal I have been neutral. I personally see and understand/accept the pros and cons of the change. IMO the pros of the change ultimately outweighed the cons, and I support and agree with the BOC decision.
Ultimately I agree with your view that some hunters are afraid someone else will shoot "their buck". Why else would some people be so worried that others will be in the woods before themselves?

Good luck, Tony
is that reall what they are worried about? Or they upset that they just lost their tradition or lost the opener to try and hold onto some of their traditions, or now they can’t make the opener at all. If you want the first chance of a buck you go in archery and get months ahead of others. It has nothing to do with that.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no it’s actually fact. No one can wait until Monday and continue their preferred way of hunting and still hunt the opener of the season opens Saturday.
Or someone else with get THEIR buck. It's called hunting. The PGC should be concerned about the herd not hurting peoples feelings. It's change and some people are resistant to change. I did not like the change to doe season....I enjoyed the three days after buck but I accepted it. No internet at the time to whine & whine about it! Just conversations at camp & clubs with real people.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
no it’s actually fact. No one can wait until Monday and continue their preferred way of hunting and still hunt the opener of the season opens Saturday.
Or someone else with get THEIR buck. It's called hunting. The PGC should be concerned about the herd not hurting peoples feelings. It's change and some people are resistant to change. I did not like the change to doe season....I enjoyed the three days after buck but I accepted it. No internet at the time to whine & whine about it! Just conversations at camp & clubs with real people.
I agree they should manage the herd. This had nothing to do with management and everything to do with peoples feelings.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree they should manage the herd. This had nothing to do with management and everything to do with peoples feelings.
More people in the woods COULD impact the herd may be the PGC's thinking. According to the PGC Poll only 25% of the hunters responding hunted from "deer camp". It appears that tradition is sinking.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
More people in the woods COULD impact the herd may be the PGC's thinking. According to the PGC Poll only 25% of the hunters responding hunted from "deer camp". It appears that tradition is sinking.
more people who’ll impact the herd in a positive way? We are meeting all harvest goals now. It it results in overharvest(highly doubt it could) then they made a change for the worse.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
more people who’ll impact the herd in a positive way? We are meeting all harvest goals now. It it results in overharvest(highly doubt it could) then they made a change for the worse.

Evidently we're not meeting goals or we wouldn't have higher doe allocations AND a high pressure day (opener) moved to what is hoped/believed to be a higher than typical participation day. Both of those things are going to increase the harvest....one we know for a fact will (more tags) the other is thought/hoped to (move to Saturday opener bringing higher participation).

·
Banned
2,401 Posts

Evidently we're not meeting goals or we wouldn't have higher doe allocations AND a high pressure day (opener) moved to what is hoped/believed to be a higher than typical participation day. Both of those things are going to increase the harvest....one we know for a fact will (more tags) the other is thought/hoped to (move to Saturday opener bringing higher participation).
Antlerless allocations are adjusted every year

·
Registered
385 Posts
stackbarrel i think you should not be allowed to hunt until the first thursday, unless you are afraid someone else will kill your deer. no reason ,biological or otherwise. just because i think so. see how ridiculous that sounds, that's your argument in a nutshell.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Right, only if their "preferred way of hunting" includes being first or having "first chance" at "their deer"...
The first chance at Deer for an adult Hunter it’s a non-senior comes in archery season months earlier. You’re not that stupid quit being intentionally ignorant

1 - 20 of 25 Posts