The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say you got your buck, tagged it, got it home, do your own processing and send out the harvest report. At what point can you trash the tag?

If your taking it to a taxidermist I guess you need to keep it with the cape so they have record. But say you just cut off the antlers to hang in the garage and dispose the hide/cape. Do you need to keep the tag around as proof all was legal?

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
I belive the wording is something like: "once the carcass is cut up and processed for human consumption, the tag may be discarded".

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
If the meat is in the freezer, and the antlers are hung in the garage - I would say the tag can be tossed. By wording the tag is supposed to be on the ear so when you toss the hide, the tag is tossed with it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
According to the law posted on the PGC's website you should listen to listen to both, the GentleBen and TenRing:

Sec. 2323. Tagging and reporting big game kills.

(a) Tags issued with licenses. -

(1) Each licensed person who kills any big game shall, immediately after the killing and before removing the big game from the location of the killing, fully complete the proper game kill tag in compliance with the instructions printed on the tag and attach only the game kill tag to the big game. The attached game kill tag shall remain on the big game until such time as the big game is processed for consumption or prepared for mounting.

(2) In any year in which the commission establishes check stations, each person shall, within 24 hours after killing any big game, present the big game for examination and tagging.

(3) Within ten days of the kill, the person shall report the killing of big game as required in the manner or methods prescribed by commission regulations.

This one's a two'fer:

So, to answer your first question: if it is butchered and your antlers removed, you may toss your tag if you don't save souvenirs

Or, to answer your second question: if it goes to the taxidermist to be prepared for mounting it stays with the cape, but if you just cut the rack off to hang in the garage and trash the cape -- toss the tag, if you don't save souvenirs

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I drove a nail in a stud in the garage and after the deer is cut up, Ihang the tag on the nail. Lots of memories there.

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
i have all of mine somewhere. once it's mounted you no longer need it correct? just while it is being mounted?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all and Concrnd sprtsmn for the detailed response! I just want to make sure I know I've met the legal requirements. Memories of the hunt and saving the antlers is good enough for me.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i always keep the tag on the horns when i hang em up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts