The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wandering when you guys stop taking the dog out for training on grouse?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Woodcock, I believe nest earlier then grouse so if you have woodcock in your area I would say April 1st. Grouse, I believe start to nest around May 1st. I don't run my dogs from around the middle of April until around the 4th of July.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Good question and answer. I've been having lots of fun trying to find woodcock with the dog and was wondering about this. (Because of all this fun I'm actually well-behind on my plan to start force-fetching my dog- oh well, we'll get there.)

Has anyone heard any drumming yet?

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will put an ear out behind the house. I had drumming there last year.

I want to get the lab out a few more times. once turkey comes in though I will not take here out. Too many idiots where I hunt to be going out with a black dog.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Rober said:
Woodcock, I believe nest earlier then grouse so if you have woodcock in your area I would say April 1st. Grouse, I believe start to nest around May 1st. I don't run my dogs from around the middle of April until around the 4th of July.
You nailed it. Pheasants start around April 15th so I would slide it ahead a couple weeks in a pheasant area.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Lynnappelman said:
Rober said:
You nailed it. Pheasants start around April 15th so I would slide it ahead a couple weeks in a pheasant area.

Lynn, will pheasants nest more then one time during the spring? I remember as a young lad walking hay fields with a rope with my dad to mark nests so my grandpap wouldn't mow over them with the sickle bar mower. But I thought it would have been sometime in May when the hay would have been higher.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Most birds will start laying eggs about mid April. This year that may be later. Hens lay an egg every day and it takes 23 days to hatch. So a total of about 5 weeks total time nesting. We have a brood report on the first day of Spring Gobbler season so some birds start even earlier.

If the eggs are destroyed, the hen will re-nest multiple times with each nest getting smaller. Once the eggs hatch, if the poults are destroyed, the hen will not re-nest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts