The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is tomorrow too early to plant Winter Rye? What is the optimum seed dept for the Rye?

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
starting now is a good time to plant it for the fall plots. I planted my winter rye and brassicas lastyear in mid august and the deer hammered the rye in late september and october.
you can broadcast seed it and then rake it in just to give it some seed to soil contact. it will even grow on top of the ground.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
DrewMc said:
Is tomorrow too early to plant Winter Rye? What is the optimum seed dept for the Rye?
Depends on location and growing season length for your area. Overall, I'd say it may be a tad early for Somerset. Two more weeks might be better.

If it gets too tall in the fall, it can become somewhat unpalatable for them, of course, if there is little other food in your area, they will hammer it no matter what.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Dutch said:
DrewMc said:
Depends on location and growing season length for your area. Overall, I'd say it may be a tad early for Somerset. Two more weeks might be better.

If it gets too tall in the fall, it can become somewhat unpalatable for them, of course, if there is little other food in your area, they will hammer it no matter what.
if you put it right near the bedding area they will hammer it no matter what. there was a corn field within 100yds of my food plot last year and they still ate it. they dont pass up on tender greens very often.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you are going to get a good rain, plant it now. I waited to long last 2 years and Sept was very dry. The plots I planted mid August were 100 times better than those i planted early sept only cause the got 2 good rains before it got real dry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts