The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The landowner that lets me hunt on his property is letting me plant some foodplots this year. I bought some BioLogic Premium Perennial. The bag says that you can plant in spring or fall. This is my first time planting a foodplot in PA. What month is best to plant the foodplot? Can I plant it now or should I wait until late August?

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
depends, do you want to hunt OVER it or do you want to hunt deer that have benefited from it? Answer that question and you'll know which month

both always works too

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Right now, at this point in the year, if your plot has not been prepared, I'd wait for a fall planting. Those seedlings would be coming up just about the onset of hot, dry weather. That is usually not good for clover.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the tips I appreciate them. I plan on hunting over the food plot. We used a tiller and worked up the ground this morning. I think I will just continue to work it up several more times this summer and we can plant it in the early fall (late August).

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
That will really help you with weed control.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
yep, that will help with the weeds alright, but i would suggest spraying a few days prior to planting, just to kill off anything that might "overpower" your biologic.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I think if he tilled it right at planting, he'd be fine. No need to spray as the tilling would kill anything growing?

That would also be the time to incorporate fertilizer into the plot. Lime could be done anytime this summer, the earlier, the better, if it needs lime.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Have you had a soil test?

If you have had one or know that the soil is growable, your susposed to have them in the ground after the threat of frost is over. I know some guys plant a little earlier but just like this year, summer weather in april and snow in may.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Since he's already cultivated the plot I would plant buckwheat and till that in late july and replant with his chosen product

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
One thing you can do if you want the plot to be dual season...summer/winter is plant a mix of things. There are plants that will grow all year but the deer wont touch till the first frost/snow hits them...like turnups for example

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
There are plants that will grow all year but the deer wont touch till the first frost/snow hits them...like turnups for example
I wish that food plot fallacy would die.

I've seen brassicas wiped out in September before any frost, and I've seen them stand uneaten all winter, while deer walk past.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Its just like anything else sometimes it holds true somethimes it doesnt. Just because you notice one thing doesnt mean its always true. So yes sometimes there are plants that are eating when they are not susposed to be and sometimes never eatten at all. A lot of it also has to do with the ammount of food the deer have. If there is only turnups for them to eat they will eat it.

There are plants that are bitter until a frost hits it which is a fact, doesnt mean the deer wont eat them but I know I sure would wait.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
It's sorta funny, I've eaten turnip greens in September and in November. They don't taste any different. Maybe the deer notice it, but I sure don't. I have tasted differences between clovers, alfalfa, trefoil. Clover usually tastes like a fresh pea. Red clovers aren't the best tho. Bitter.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Not a matter of right or wrong. I was just stating my grazing preferences.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Trail cams.......

Seriously, taste some of the stuff we plant, it's not bad, really.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Ranch or Blue cheese with yer food plot salad? LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts