The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...of the morning?
Let's say you're hunting the vast wilderness of Sproul State Forest and there's no hunting pressure. You walk into your pre determined spot long before daylight. At first light several Gobblers sound off.
Do you call to them right away or wait till they fly down to make that first call?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I'm on them with aggressive gobbles right away! Gobbling back at that time of year triggers a dominance reaction. I love it!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I give them something brief, soft, and sensual so they have a location on me and then I will not make another peep until I know they're on the ground, no matter what.

When I first started turkey hunting I used to get all worked up by making em gobble on the roost like it was a Primos video.. No doubt it's fun, but it's counter-productive in multiple ways.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
In most instances, I never call to them until they hit the ground. Now, if live hens or other hunters dictate it, sometimes I'll try to get them fired up on the roost.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Borden, so let's say you hear several hens talking along with many gobbles. How does that change your strategy?
You now call before they hit the ground?

·
Premium Member
24,189 Posts
DrakesOnly said:
I give them something brief, soft, and sensual so they have a location on me and then I will not make another peep until I know they're on the ground, no matter what.
Same here

·
Registered
984 Posts
Moss said:
DrakesOnly said:
Same here

Thats what I do too. I usually let the crows and geese do the fun part-- having them gobble there brains off

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I like to engage him while he is on the limb, but most of the time I never touch a turkey call.

I do alot of my "calling" with a turkey wing, simulating a hen stretching and preening on the limb and then eventually flying down. This, coupled with some leaf scratching after flydown, can be deadly!!

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold"> A gobbler expects a hen to come to his gobbling...Over calling to a gobbler on the limb, usually makes him stay in the tree longer...

Give him some WING talk as mentioned and wait to see his next move....

If there is hens around, I'll try to fire up or challenge the ole hen & see, if she will come to me rather then going to the gobbler...When he hears hens fussing, it won't be long and he'll show up to join the party...

Keep a close eye out for jakes quietly sneaking in on the side to measure things up....Those buggers are great at screwing up a hunt</span>

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Wings, leaf scratching ya ya. When he hits the ground, lite em up early in the season. Later tree talk and lots of clucking.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I love to make one soft call while they're on the limb. As soon as they respond, I don't touch another call until they hit the ground. I've had 3 birds in the last 4 years fly down right in front of me after this.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Yep, only a very small amount of soft calling here also. I actually prefer to NOT make them gobble, that draws other hunters as well. IMHO, once you here a gobble, it's far more important to be set up properly rather than make them gobble.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts