The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a snap shot of my potato patch, they have all had blossoms, which have fallen, when should I harvest, now, or wait until they die back more?

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I wait till the leaves and stalks are brown and dead.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
410-er said:
I wait till the leaves and stalks are brown and dead.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If your digging all at once, wait till they die back. If you want potatoes for dinner you can dig them now. I've been digging small batches to eat for a couple weeks now.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
It is best to let them totally die off. Less time you have to worry about storing them also. But watch for moles, as they can really hammer up a potato patch. A lot of rain , can also rot potatoes if soil is heavy and poorly drained.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You can dig around the plant and only take one or more than cover it back up.I start around july and usually have all of them dug up by the end of Sept.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Unless they are New potatoes (a variety of potato often grown in the MidAtlantic states) let the stems and leaves die off. New potatoes are the first to be harvested but have a very short shelf life. They will rot in the ground if you leave them until Oct.

When we grow potatoes, generally russets, we dig as needed from about labor day until the beginning of October and then dig the rest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts