The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time in a long time, I will be carrying a bolt action rifle without a magazine. If I have the bolt closed on empty chamber is the gun considered empty even if I have four rounds in the gun itself with one ready to chamber?

Would like to do this if legal, so I don't have to fumble with cartridges in the dark Monday morning.

·
Registered
20,230 Posts
I would say if you have ammo in the gun at all it is considered loaded.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I was always taught when in a vehicle, ZERO ammo in weapon and bolt slid open or removed. Don't know the exact rule tho.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Get a flashlight that mounts to your head.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
what????? load your gun on stand? i hope a big buck stands there and waves his tail at you when your walking to your stand....keep your gun loaded on the way in and out

·
Registered
957 Posts
if you have even one round in either the chamber OR the mag. it IS considered loaded... and it is a stiff fine

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
KellemQuick
I do not know about you BUT I walk in BEFORE legal shooting hours with a flashlight.

Dave

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yes, tec. it's considered loaded... just read the rules on that myself...can't have a round in the chamber or mag/clip... So even if you have a detachable mag. and you have it on the gun, even though there is not a live round in the chamber, it's still considered "loaded"

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
KillEmQuick said:
what????? load your gun on stand? i hope a big buck stands there and waves his tail at you when your walking to your stand....keep your gun loaded on the way in and out
So, your telling guys to load up when they exit the vehicle in the morning before it is light and go to walk to thier stand?

Are you 1 of those guys that we sometimes hear shots coming from at 6am...shine the flash light on it and shoot?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO, one of the guys that loads the gun at 6 am and pulls the trigger to "see" if the safe is "on"....

·
Registered
653 Posts
KillEmQuick said:
who carries a flashlight? you dont need one
Shoot a deer 10 minutes before it gets dark and see if you need a flashlight.... Did the my first year.. 10 minutes before it got dark... by the time I left it lay some (it only ran 15 yards( and this was in archery) but still.. got down tagged it,, gutted it... and got the drag ropes on it... I couldn't see jack squat in the woods

·
Registered
282 Posts
animalslayer is 100% correct...

the ONLY Exception is a muzzle loader type weapon, but the primer / cap / flash powder must be removed as to disable the firing mechanism.

your better off to "fumble" as you put it...

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
quite a number of years ago, i had my gun loaded 15 minutes too early. not one in the chamber. just shells in my model 70. i was given a citation and when i explained myself to the DJ, he ripped it up and threw it away.

what is that supposed to make me think regardless of what the law says? i was %100 unknowingly in the wrong and the DJ just said, sorry you had to drive all the way up here for this.

·
Registered
282 Posts
here is the DIRECT EXERPT from the PGC regulation book:

Loaded Firearms - Vehicles: A firearm is considered loaded when there is live ammunition in either the chamber or attached magazine.
It is unlawful to 1) have a loaded firearm in, on or against any motor vehicle, regardless of whether the vehicle is moving or stationary; and
2) have a loaded firearm in watercraft under power, or shoot from a powered watercraft until the motor has been shut off and the craft has come to a complete stop. Holders of License to Carry Firearms permit are exempt, but keep in mind that most sporting firearms are not authorized
by the permit.
It is prohibited to have any muzzleloading firearm that has a live charge of ammunition in its firing chamber and a primer, flash powder or a battery, whichever is applicable, properly positioned in the firing mechanism of the firearm rendering it capable of discharge, in, on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power. Any
crossbow that has been cocked and has a bolt affixed onto the string or positioned into the firing mechanism of the device is prohibited in, on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power. For complete safety, a muzzleloader and crossbow bolt should be fired into soft ground before those devices are transported in a vehicle.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts