The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wondering when is a a good time to use fish oil for raccoon trapping? i hear people talking about using fish oil all the time but i don't know if it is really effective. if someone could let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
My experience using fish oil for raccoons has been limited to the use of dirt hole sets made especially for that specie. One ounce of fish oil was poured directly into the hole, then a generous handful of grass taken from the surrounding area was was balled up and tossed in the hole atop the fish oil. If the set was made close or right on the coon's line of travel I generally caught the coon the first or second night. Most times coon travel in pairs so if you catch one, there's usually another around. Might as well leave the set in place and catch him too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i use it more for a trailing scent. make the set be it a dp or dirt hole or whatever and shoot an x from the set out so they trail the oil to the set. always set at least 2 sets in a location.

·
Banned
174 Posts
Ive heard not to use it inside of DP'S because it can make the coon slip out easily , that being said i squirt that oil alot at my pocket sets ...

It works very well as a back up to my lure and bait ....

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I use it like Bobcat.If I make a pocket set, I will squirt some up on land to my set.at rock cubbies,I soak the inside.Never hurts to overlure a coon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts