The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do....do you jump on archery the first day, do you wait until the pre-rut or do you hold out until the rut is in full swing?

When during the season has been most successful for you?

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
I start hunting right away provided I have the time. When it comes to success I would say over 80% of the bucks I have shot were in the first three weeks. Think the first week bucks are still on a summer pattern and minimal hunting pressure keeps them off guard the next two weeks.
Once the rut kicks in I always seem to struggle. The randomness of it , lockdown and hunting pressure always seems to work against me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My work schedule prevents me from getting out much in October, as my only days off are Sundays. Come November 1st, I get laid off so that's when my season starts. I will get out a few Saturday afternoons in October.....

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I go into full on hunting mode from the opener right through the end of regular archery. Every waking moment I can get into a tree I will. I hunt morning and afternoon on Saturdays and any weekday afternoon after work that I can. My family is great and understanding that the season is short and they support my hunting efforts.

Success wise, during the rut is when I see a majority of mature bucks. I'm generally hunting doe until the rut kicks in. I will shoot a good buck anytime, but I love having a tag during the rut and that's when I take 2 weeks of vacation to hunt my A$$ off. I see the most mature bucks from October 29th through the second week of November.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hunt as much as I can first week if the weather is good.
First 2 weeks of November as I can. Or til tags are filled!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
All season. Early season is mostly gathering intel and finding my where my live bait is bedding and feeding. If I find hot buck sign I hunt it, but my results in the first half of October are not impressive. Very hard to find and pattern big woods bucks until they move and associate more with does. I've killed a few decent ones in late October but my biggest have all been in November. I'm not a believer in rut phases just get out there and the colder the weather the better.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
We hunt pretty much every day? I am a bit more picky in the early part of season depending on what bucks we have pics of. From Halloween on you never know what may show up?

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
My # 1 spot doesn’t get sat till Halloween, with that said I have about a dozen other spots to hit till then. I don’t care if it’s 100 or 10 degrees I wait all year for this and will be in a tree all I can.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I hunt as much as I can but this early season in 2B, I struggle to get the ambition to get out there. Weather is always hot....although looks to be pretty nice this weekend. With things to do, the AM on Saturday would be my only chance to get out.
Will try and get my daughter out as much as possible but she has freshman vball practice or games just about every night until the end of the first week of October. Might get more time after that....
My son still needs to take the online hunter ed course then get his license. He isn't into it as much as my daughter is....

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm out the first day and go every day I get a chance which is pretty often, most days I'm done with work at 2:30. I hunt public mountain ground mostly and I see doe and young buck often but don't see mature bucks until around November.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've got two places i hunt. One is hour and a half away, my camp is 3 hours away so hunting after work is not something thats possible.

I usually plan out my vacation to make long weekends Thursday Friday Saturdays from beginning to end, full week first week of Nov. Having to plan around vac time makes it difficult to say "this isnt a good wind day" and such.

I'm still waiting for my first archery buck, and I've never really figured out the rut just yet, but any day in the woods is a blessing and always hoping this will be the year!

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
At my age...if I start too soon I start to loose interest when it's the best time to hunt...so I don't start till the 3rd week...also...I rarely see a buck before the start of the rut...I hunt where the girls hang out. (y)

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I'm not one of the guys that monitors a bunch of trail camera's to see when the best time is to hunt. Only have one camera out this year. I like hunting the early season and think it's one of the best times to be in the woods and wouldn't miss it. I think I hunt smart in the early season and half of my P&Y bucks have been killed before the rut. I'm going to hunt from the opener until the end.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I hunt as much as I can all season really. I hunt in PA and NY both, have yet to fill every tag I have bought, don't really try to anyway. I do get more aggressive as the end of October rolls in and push a lot harder come November, same as most guys I suppose. I find trail cameras most useful before season to see what is around, and I run them after season to see "who" is left to grow another year.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I start as soon as I can! Got my first wallhanger five minutes into daylight of the opener. Didn't know yet he was being hunted.

The most effort and energy is Halloween onward. Killed a nice 9pt in full out grunt and chasing that day.

Best times for bucks on their feet is Nov 6-7-8 based on 11 years of journal data.

Gonna be real interesting this year, the season going later.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I hunt every moment that I am physically able to. However, I adjust my "hunting" to what I am seeing through the spring scouting and summer camera pulls. Now all that means is my expectations are different. If I have not found any buck that are patentable or that I think I want to try and get after, I'll still hunt but I will go to totally new areas to scout hunt or throw sits in areas that I havent had cameras at but I have history with. Then as late October approaches I'll start targeting doe bedding, funnels, mid day sits, travel routes to food sources and so on. But all that said I'm in the woods from the word go!

·
Super Moderator
26,947 Posts
I will be out as much as I can, starting the first day. Early in the season I get to learn more about how the deer behave in new areas, and maybe if I picked a good location I might get lucky too.
Too many years of not being able to archery hunt while in Germany, to not get out whenever I can.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts