The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just packing some things for next weekends trip to camp for the last days of Flintlock when I was packing my clothes when it hit me. I would rather spend some time sewing up a ripped pocket of old hunting pants or putting a safety pin through the ripped game bag of my small game vest then going to Gander mountian and getting a new one. I remember when I was in my early twenties I hunted with my uncle alot and I used to think why does he hunt with that old gun and why does he still have the woolrich hunting coat when we all used to have the big ole Pumpkin suites of the early 80's and the same old gutting knife that he was given when he was 18. I thought well I got me all this new stuff and boy its really cool and looks real neat. Now in my 40's I still have a lot of the clothes and hunt with the same guns and have my luck hat that I got back when they were new and cool. Just cant part with them. Now and again I get some new stuff but just cant get rid of the old to many memories. The only exception is the Under Armor! I wont leave camp with out it if the weather calls for rain or temps below 40.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I know just what you are talkin about

I've got the same old "lucky" orange hat that I've had since I was 12. You know the old tossle cap with the deer patch on the front!! Pretty soon its not gonna be considered flourescent anymore...

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I've got this pair of cheap camo pants that the MIL gave me years ago. No-name camo, thin cloth, and the white pocket linings show no matter what. Somehow those pants show up in more grip and grin shots than any other single item in my hunting wardrobe. I don't really believe in "lucky this" or "lucky that", but there is just something about those pants . . .
Gonna be tough to part with them when the time comes.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I always wondered why my grandfather used the same rifle from 1962 and the same shotgun he got from his dad when he was young.

I find myself mostly using the same guns that I first got even though I have newer ones. Also carry the same fixed buck knife I've had for years even though my friends all got new fancy knives with gut hooks (they work great skinning deer). I'm always getting some new clothes every few years. Mostly because I don't spend a lot of money on them as I use them hard.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
BONZy said:
I know just what you are talkin about

I've got the same old "lucky" orange hat that I've had since I was 12. You know the old tossle cap with the deer patch on the front!! Pretty soon its not gonna be considered flourescent anymore...
I got one of those tossel caps when I was about 7 years old and I still wear it for deer and bear season (I'll be 30 next month).

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
I still have a old orange hat that I got when I was a teenager but I got a new one because the old one just don't fit my fat head anymore,but it still has a place in my gun room

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I can relate quite well... my rifle season jacket is my old small game vest, and it's so worn and torn it isn't really orange or safe anymore. All the guys ask why I still wear it... it's more so because of the value in my heart than spending the cash to get a new one.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Old hunting clothes, do not make the hunter wearing them old. Unless the hunter lets them. They help us recall good times, friends and things that are beautiful to us and that hold importantce. But, as for me, this old fart stuff is for the birds (Phesants, doves, grouse, chuckars and crows)

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Of course, then there is the problem of the stuff that fit me in my teens and 20's no longer would now at 49, so, some "change" in attire is required.

I'm sure some of you younger fellas will bump into this problem of the clothing "shrinking" in the next decade or so.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
I still have a lot of my old stuff from when I was younger. When we were in our teens my brother got a treebark camo possibles bag as a gift that he used for hauling his turkey calls and such. I borrowed it one year to put my archery stuff in and somehow over time it became mine.
I still use it to this day although it has a few small holes in it.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts

My dad blames my mom for throwing clothes in the dryer and shrinking them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have this old sweater that belonged to an army bud,I borrowed it to go to town,(Schwabach Germany)and burned a small hole in it from cigaret ashes. I kept it and bought him a new one in the PX. This was in 1958. I wore that sweater every year in deer season untill last year,it wouldn't stretch anymore, and one day this year to make it a round 50 years. My friend is gone ,but his sweater will be in my stuff till the end.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I bought a hunting knife with a leather sheathe for my brother with some of my paper route money in 1965 . He still uses that knife even though I since got him a Buck 110 to replace it . I think at age 50 we are officially in the fart category . Welcome !!

·
Registered
531 Posts
30 some years ago when we were crossing cables on bear creek the cable broke. I fell on my back in the creek. I was really shook up and really bruised. The next day about a 1/2 mile downstream my buddy and I saw my hat washed up close to shore. I went and picked it up . The lining has wore out over the years but I still wear it because I feel it's my lucky hat that I had on when I didn't break any bones in my back on the fall. Crazy or not I never hunt deer without it!!!!

·
Administrator
31,066 Posts
Finn Anthony said:
I bought a hunting knife with a leather sheathe for my brother with some of my paper route money in 1965 . He still uses that knife even though I since got him a Buck 110 to replace it . I think at age 50 we are officially in the fart category . Welcome !!
I bought my knife in 1973. I have no recollection of how many deer it has gutted and skinned, but it's probably had more blood on it than the Pa turnpike and still does a fine job. I see no reason to retire it. That's just being practical, not sentimental.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
I became sentimental at age 12 when my greandfather died. I have a block of lead that we made sinkers from in my garage; all of his fishing poles, lures and his old fishing licenses and buttons.

I have some of his tools and his minnow bucket too. I like how he marked his stuff- with my grandmother's red nail polish. He'd paint his name on everything, or put a red stripe on it. I think his favorite color was probably red, lol.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
You can become sentimental about a place or a material item very quickly and at a young age. You add old fart to sentimental when you realize that you have more fawn memories of the pass, people, places, and things then you will accumulate in the future. Not necessarily better one just more of them.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I'm so old I'm long past that stage.

From the 70's I have, that I bought, a rifle, a muzzleloader, a shotgun, some still good Kaufman Sorel snowpak boots, a possiblities bag with stuff, a blaze orange coat, orange hat, and two fifty year old Shetland wool sweaters.

And I'm in training and back to my basketball playing weight, so all the clothes fit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts