The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guy's and Gals, I'm going to have a garden this year. Besides growing tomatoes when I was a kid, I know very little about when and how to grow stuff. I would like to grow stuff I need for salsa, love the stuff, so here is what I'm planning on: Rome or Plume tomatoes, Beef tomatoes, Hot peppers (jalapeno, Serrano and Cayenne) Green peppers, and also some Zucchini. Not sure on when to start, Buy seeds or sprouts, and if any of these are to hard to grow. If you can give me some pointers or better selections that would be a big help. Thanks

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Around here we can get plants cheap from the Amish. Plants are easier in my book. You put them in there and you know what to expect. Seeds, you don't know if they will make it. I know if you buy your plants from some greenhouses it can cost you a decent chunk of change.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I wouldn't start planting until mid-May unless you want to gamble with the chance of frost. I agree with what was said above in regards to buying the plants over the seeds for tomatoes and peppers.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I usually start around Mother's Day. If your planting zucchini make sure you give them space they are big plants. If you want to plant seeds start them indoors about 8 weeks before planting.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Shippinit said:
.I wouldn't start planting until mid-May unless you want to gamble with the chance of frost I agree with what was said above in regards to buying the plants over the seeds for tomatoes and peppers.

May 21st....best and safest time to start putting peppers, tomatoes and other warm crops in....

Cold/cool season crops can go in on april 15...but sometimes if we get a HARD Killing frost, that is even a gamble for the cold/cool crops!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, sounds like I'm already to start. I am gonna need your help when it's time to plant them. Thanks

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
woodswise,

If you want to start seeds, start them NOW.....

your a little late, but if you get seeds now and start them, they will be good and strong by the time it is safe to plant...

Starting from seeds is fun and feels better then going out and buying the plants...you get the feeling you yourself started the seeds, nutured them to plants to put out and then planted them in the ground and took care of them to harvest...

But, if you are going to go the route of buying plants straight out...find a very good place to buy them...try to stay away from home depot, lowes and big chain stores like that... find an amish green house or a local regular greenhouse that starts their seeds themselves... not a big chain store that buys from the south and ships the plants north.....1 of the reasons many of us had problems with tomatoes last year... the mold/fungus came from down south in the plants that were shipped up here and resold!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Here are my tomoatos. I started them about the second week in February

Here's a few more tomotos and peppers. I started the peppers the first week of February.

I would rather start my own from seed because you can get a wider variety. I have 12 different types of peppers and 15 different types of tomoatos

·
Registered
155 Posts
Glock - Those a great looking plants! I have tried for the past years to start tomatoes and peppers from seeds - you would probably pass out laughing if I would post pictures of my attempts ;-)
I'll have to build the rig with the light fixtures seen in your pictures.

Tobias

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Thanks guys. I've been lucky starting with seeds. Here's some updated pictures.

Peppers, few tomatos, cabbage, Kohlarabi and broccoli

and the tomatos and more peppers. The tomatos are getting a little long.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
man your way ahead of me, my peppers are just starting to pop up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts