The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Buckwheat plot that I want to turn under{about an acre} and plant a brassica / buck forage oat mix, When should i do this in nepa. This is not a hunting plot.. we do not hunt this and it is the only plot on my property. close to main acess to property. but the soil is good and the opportunity arose............

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
I would plant it In mid august so it will be nice and tender and more benifical to the deer when the temps are lower and the deer are moving more. planting it now is ok to but I dont think the deer would use it as much this time of year.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Give brassica at least 60 days before frost.

In northern PA, I plant mine the third week of July, with GREAT success. In your area, a little later will do

They do love lots of nitrogen, so, disc urea in at planting and don't be afraid to broadcast some later on.

This pic taken 6 or 7 weeks after planting.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
We are getting ready to plant ours this weekend. Its a small gamble that we wont get the rain we need, but its worked out for us in the past. The earlier you plant it the bigger it will be by fall!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I'm a little leary about planting anything this summer. Am hesitant about planting the end of the month. I know I will, but don't expect much.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
If you get no rain nothing happens to the seed which isnt all bad, whats bad is getting a little rain so they germinate and then getting no rain.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Smtn10pt said:
If you get no rain nothing happens to the seed which isnt all bad, whats bad is getting a little rain so they germinate and then getting no rain.
Thats what I'm afraid of.

At this point, I'll seed my clover, but am also going to put some buckwheat in the plot to help shade the clover and keep moisture in the plot. I'm sure this will all change by late August or so.

I hope so anyway.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Well I took my chances last night. I planted 5 small plots with a mix of buckwheat and tall tine tubers, which are a forage turnip mix from Whitetail Institute. I'm banking on rain today and then again Tuesday to get them out of the ground. I will take some pics in a few weeks and let you know how they turn out.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Timing is everything.

I've had great success with my brassicas when I plant them the third week of July. Seems like I always get a good rain event that week and they "pop" out of the ground. Usually around the 20th to the 23rd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts