Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do the wild blueberries ripen in northern pa?\
I'm in the mood for a blueberry pie!

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
true wild blue berries are often not ripe until August along Game lands 211.

We have about 40 cultivated blue berry bushes and the two early bushes are starting to turn. I picked a hand full over the weekend.

My June berries were ripe the first week of June. They look and taste just like blue berries, but have seeds. They are actually a relative of the crab apple. They do well in fence rows and deer love them

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
The blueberries are on the plants but still green here in the high country of PA, Usually around the first week of July they ripen around here.

·
20,127 Posts
Here's what they look like in northern PA as of Friday. Not really even close. I'd say 4 more weeks at the minimun. The colder early start to the year has everything behind (or more normal depending on how you look at it.)

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
That's one thing we don't have in Washington County. Wild Blueberris seem to be a higher elevation type plant.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Fleroo said:
That's one thing we don't have in Washington County. Wild Blueberris seem to be a higher elevation type plant.
I live next to the Gallitzin State Forest and all you need to do is find a small drainage or trickle of water and you can pick bushels full of blueberries / huckleberries. Yes, elevation may be a factor but they are very prevalent around water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts